View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Mine can and have done eight hours, but not out of choice. I guess they could do longer as well they're not really too fussed despite the fact I work from home and take them out with me whenever I can.

They will also happily wait in the car for a couple of hours at a time which makes going away a doddle as, provided I don't go away in the summer, they can wait in the car if I go out to eat rather than being left in a hotel room or caravan.

However, I got really bad at leaving them after my little JRT suddenly became ill while I was out of the house and by the time I got home it was too late to save him.
Nothing I could've done differently, you HAVE to leave them from time to time and he'd only been left three hours but I came home to find him fitting (epilepsy apparently, which I didn't even know he had) and after three hours of critical care hospitalisation he passed away. After that, I went through a period of not wanting to leave them AT ALL.

I'm getting better, but as others have said, I suppose that's my separation anxiety, not theirs!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 08:47 PM
If I know I am going to be out for 5 hours plus I will take Max to my Dad's. He could probably go longer than that, I just prefer him to have company.
tattoogirl73
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2012, 11:43 PM
The longest opie has been left was twelve hours. I had taken Shirley to my friends in the morning where she collapsed and had to be rushed to the hospital. He was fine, just bursting for a wee when we got home. Normally he's only left for about three hours.
Tibter
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-06-2012, 07:04 AM
About ten minutes but we are working on it
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-06-2012, 07:11 AM
Teg has been left 8hours as a one off when I had nobody he knew to let him out. Hocus has been left 3 hours so far.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Regularly 5 hours at a time before the dog walker comes in. There's been emergency situations when it's been 10, but never longer than that.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2012, 08:00 AM
Mine are left for 4 1/2 hours everyday while I am at work.

They have been left for 8 once when my Nan got snowed in and couldnt pop round at lunchtime. This was when i was still full time at work. I was worried all day about them but they were fine when i got home.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Millie has toys, kong, treets to find so is occupied when that runs out she sleeps in her crate.

According to neighbours she makes a fuss at first but then settles after a short time.

longest ive left her own is 6 hours when I did Jury Duty I came home to find everything as I left, Millie came out of her crate after been asleep and the place was dry no mess. She isn't fussed being left on her own. Dad comes home by lunchtime anyway most days so she gets a miday break.

We go for walks in the evenings.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2012, 10:22 AM
mine have been left for about 8 hours before now. obviously thats not every day, and i prefer not to do it but it doesnt kill them if they are left.

if i know im out for a fair few hours, they get a long walk before i go. they sleep all day anyway when im not in (in fact they sleep all day when i am in )

they arent bothered about being left at all, as long as they have their comfy bed.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2012, 11:00 AM
I think it depends, but my dog has not been left for more than 4 hours usually, very occasionally it's been about 5.

She usually only gets left for about 2 hours. IF i leave her at home to go to somewhere for the day, my friend looks after her.

When I homechecked for the RSPCA, they used to tell me to say that 4 hours on a regular basis was the maximum of alone time that they allowed for their dogs.

I think there are some dogs that enjoy the company of others dogs enough to be left together for a day when say the owner's at work. Those sort of dogs are fine, but some dogs do crave humancompany and it's not really fair to leave them for too long. Unless its the odd one off event.

I used to know of a cocker spaniel who was left all day, no walk and when his owner returned, he was hit with a slipper for messing in the house

I do wonder how dogs whoare left for quite a long time manage to toilet? Do they just hold it (and does that cause health problems overtime?) or do they have access to outdoors?

Wys
x
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >