Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Delos
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-06-2012, 05:21 PM

Apparently this is not Cruel

Yes I know its the Daily Mail but the couple who threw their dog in the sea have had their conviction overturned.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html#comments

Originally Posted by DM
A couple who were given suspended jail terms for hurling their pet dog into the sea, won their appeal against conviction

The terrier dog called Jess was first thrown into the water from a slipway at Exmouth, Devon, by his owner Linda Jones.

A court heard the couple were photographed by an eye-witness who caught their actions in a series of pictures which showed Jess being hurled into the water and twisting in mid air before nose diving into the sea.
Lucy Jones (right) with John Nesbitt (left) successfully appealed an animal cruelty conviction at Exeter Crown Court claiming they were trying to cool down pet dog Jess

Lucy Jones (right) with John Nesbitt (left) successfully appealed an animal cruelty conviction at Exeter Crown Court claiming they were trying to cool down pet dog Jess

Jones, 51, and 62-year-old John Nesbitt, from Exmouth, Devon, denied a charge of causing unnecessary suffering to Jess one summer’s day last June, but were convicted after a trial in the magistrates court.

The couple claimed they were just trying to keep their pet cool.

More...

* Boy and girl left with serious injuries after separate dog maulings which follow horrific attack on toddler
* When we grrrrrow up we want to be police dogs: The German Shepherd pups set to be the next generation of canine crime-fighters

But yesterday an appeal at Exeter Crown Court was successful and Jones will now be reunited with Jess who has been in RSPCA care for nearly a year.

Recorder Paul Dunkels QC told Jones: 'It was an utterly stupid for Linda Jones to have done. It is something she must never do to that dog or any other dog given such a chance.'

The judge said there was no evidence to say that Jess had been physically hurt after being hurled into the sea on a slipway at Exmouth, Devon.

Vet David Cooper said it was ‘probable’ the dog would have been caused some ‘fear and distress’ when Jones lifted him to her shoulder and threw the animal in several times as people looked on.

The judge said it was the manner that the dog was thrown in to the sea which was the subject of criticism.
The appeal judge said there was no evidence to say that Jess had been physically hurt after being hurled into the sea on a slipway at Exmouth, Devon

The appeal judge said there was no evidence to say that Jess had been physically hurt after being hurled into the sea on a slipway at Exmouth, Devon

Lucy Jones (right) with John Nesbitt (left) successfully appealed an animal cruelty conviction at Exeter Crown Court and she will now be reunited with Jess who has been in RSPCA care for nearly a year

Lucy Jones (right) with John Nesbitt (left) successfully appealed an animal cruelty conviction at Exeter Crown Court and she will now be reunited with Jess who has been in RSPCA care for nearly a year

The appeal was allowed and Jones and her partner John Nesbitt, 62 - who was also cleared of the same conviction - will be reunited with their pet.

Prosecutor Clifford Howard told the first hearing at Exeter Magistrates' Court: 'Both of them accepted that the dog called Jess was thrown into the sea by them.

'However, they claimed they were cooling her down because she was hot.'

He said they denied causing the dog any suffering by their actions. Mr Howard said each of then threw the dog from the slipway.

He said beneath the water was a concrete slipway but said the couple would not know how shallow the water was at the point.

The prosecutor said the first photos showed Mr Nesbitt throwing Jess into the sea after holding her in his arms.

The second batch showed Jones holding Jess before launching her into the sea and the dog ‘hitting the water’.

Mr Howard said Jess would have been in danger of hitting the concrete base of the slipway.

Mr Clews, who took the pictures, said: 'The male picked up the dog and chucked it into the sea. It went into the sea and got back out.

'Then the woman picked it up and she chucked it in the sea. I saw the dog hit the water.'

Jones told the magistrates: 'I am so angry. I know the sea like the back of my hand. I just want my baby back.'

Jones initially told police 'she was just going in for a swim - to wetten her'.

Four year old Jess was unhurt but a vet said she could have been injured as she twisted face first into the shallow water and the base of the concrete slipway.

Jones said: 'All my dogs go into the sea. The water was clear, it was not dangerous. It was a lovely hot day in April. I would gladly do it again.

'Whoosh, she goes to the bottom and up she comes. She is 18 inches tall and shakes herself off.

'She swims out of the sea - doggy paddles. It wasn’t that shallow, the tide was coming in. I just plopped her in.'

Nesbitt said they both threw her in twice and he said Jess flew a ‘few feet’ in the air into the sea and called them ‘little dips in the sea’.

Defence lawyer Jeremy Tricks said: 'Linda Jones handling of the dog was foolish.'

But he argued that they did not cause Jess unnecessary suffering because dogs are 'resilient animals'.

The magistrates had imposed a 12 week jail term suspended for two years and a 10 year old animal ban after convicting them of causing unnecessary suffering to the black and tan terrier.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1xbIboKFB
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Ridiculous... especially considering how shallow it was.

They are both wearing coats in the photos so it couldn't have been so hot that it was necessary to throw the dog in. And if the dog needed to cool off so badly that she needed to go in the water, she'd have gone in voluntarily.

Don't get me wrong, if the dog was suffering heatstroke and the couple panicked trying to cool her down I'd feel differently but there is no way it was scorching!
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 09:19 AM
No way should they get that dog back. She has no remorse for hurling her dog from shoulder height and says she'd do it again. Kids are resillient too, but you would be in prison had you thrown a 5 year old in the sea like that. This woman is beyond old school - her dog care ideas are prehistoric.
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-06-2012, 11:29 AM
Well allowing for the usual DM style of reporting I suspect that the judge is saying is that evidence that suffering occurred is lacking, as no harm resulted either physical or psychological (albeit the latter isn't as straight forward to measure).

It is a dangerous precedent to set to convict people on what might have resulted rather than what actually did.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 01:49 PM
I have to confess though that this whole 'causing unnecessary suffering' thing bugs me.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be so understanding if she'd launched a child into the see from shoulder height - whether the kiddy enjoyed it or hated it.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 01:58 PM
By the standards it usually takes for the RSPCA to step in it isn't cruel.

Mind numbingly stupid/thoughtless/brainless though.

Can remember a friends Dad leaving his daughters dangling from a tree branch until they dropped once after acquiescing to our requests to hang us there. Stupid but no harm done/ intended.

I only got lifted down because I wasn't his kid.

VERY long time ago.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 02:09 PM
Haha, yeah that's the sort of thing my dad would have done! Only... I wouldn't have asked him to hang me there in the first place...
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2012, 03:03 PM
having seen the photo the judge was wrong
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-06-2012, 10:38 PM
they did not fear there actions.as people are sitting there as well.thats the scary part.imagine a life of dog when, nobody is looking.thats not how to cool your dog....simple