Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-12-2009, 11:54 PM

Benson is Going Bald

Hi guys

I have another problem with Benson and I wondered if there's anybody out there who may have a tip or suggestion at all please?

The problem is, Benson is losing his hair. Our vet thinks it may be the large amount of steroids he takes daily for his bad back which is causing the hair loss, but that is only a guess. They are also bamboozled by this one. Other than his back problems, he is a healthy dog that enjoys life, isn't stressed and eats well.

His belly and behind his ears are now completely bald, his sides are very thin and the hair loss is now creeping down his back. Other areas, the hair is as think as ever.

Is there anyone out there who can give me any advice please? I've been online and bought him a couple of body hugging dog fleeces. The way he's going, he may have to wear the fleeces 24/7 during the winter months.

Thanks guys
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Hi Hammer

I would have thought your vet may suggest a skin scraping or biopsy to determine the cause of hair loss.

I have no experience of this however, but wish you luck x
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2009, 12:38 AM
hi
poor lad must be chilly
how old is he? if all the normal things have been ruled out(parasites,allergies etc)it may be worth having him tested for a couple of conditions(i dont mean to worry you) two that spring to mind are 'cushings' and 'hypothyroidism'
good luck.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2009, 02:58 AM
My first thought with the long term steroid use was "cushings" disease also. Ask your vet about it. There is a test that he can run to find out for certain.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2009, 06:46 AM
Agree with Muttzrule, side effects from steroids include Cushings disease. My old dog was on high dose steroids, his coat went thin on his legs, hocks, top of his ears, his tummy and sides. Recently I have halved the steroid dose and the coat is all growing back.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Hair loss is a classic sign of Cushings, but the disease can be controlled well with drugs.

Good luck xxx
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Thanks guys

Benson is only about five years old, he's been on 4 PLT tablets a day for nearly a year.

I'm a bit disappointed that my vet didn't suggest this Cushings disease
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Hi Hammer

I was wondering about Cushing's too. I had an older dog who developed Cushings. He wasn't on permanent steroids, but he had been given a few prescriptions for them. Although he was full of energy and very puppy like (the effect of the excess of steroids being produced) he went bald along his back/spine and tail and developed a pot belly. He also lost control of his bladder, which was most unlike him as he was a very clean dog.

Perhaps you could suggest this as a possibility for investigation to your vet? If Benson is feeling the cold because of this it might be worth investing in a dog coat for him, to keep him warm.

Best wishes. Please let us know how you get on.
x
jodublin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-12-2009, 10:22 AM
i have a 5 month old pup she had puppy strangles from aged 6 weeks to 13 weeks she was given steriods as her meds .4 down to 2 now ,she also has some hair loss ,its a worry so i know how your feeling ..
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Thank you all.

Benson's had his blood tests and skin tests...and there is nothing wrong with him. The vet has told me there are advanced tests he can have, but said there is little point as the current tests are indicating nothing is wrong.

They have told me that it is simply a case of him losing his hair, and there's nothing we can really do. I'm to monitor his behaviour, eating & drinking habits to see if there's any change. If not, we have to just live with the hair loss.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >