View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pete'sMum
New Member!
Female 

16-11-2009, 09:29 AM

Fireworks! (fear of fireworks and other loud noises)

Hi-I am new to the site and Forum!
I have a Cross Bearded Collie Resue dog and for the last fortnight we have had fireworks around us nearly every night.
Presumably Christmas & New Year will be another excuse for more(Why can't they stick to the public displays,or even better when are they going to be totally banned?)
I have got the Relax Spray and the Clix CD now and am going to use them in the hope that it will desensitise him.
Unfortunately i don't know my dog's history as he was found in a wood,so might well have spent a few nights cowering from bangs then.He is petrified of gunshots,fireworks and thunder.I don't "baby" him when he shows signs of distress but on some mornings after a night of fireworks,he has to be coaxed to come out for a walk and then will stand and shake.
Poor boy!
Any more ideas?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Ollie is the same always has been since a pup.. I used Serene-um tablets this year and they were quite good. He was a bit sensitive when they were really close to home ie: Neighbours letting them off but after telling him to lie down and just letting him be near our feet he was much better than other years.

A lot of us here have dogs with the same problem. We all agree about having fireworks one day a year and public displays only.

Welcome to dogsey.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2009, 12:07 PM
I think it`s just a matter of time, unfortunately. I close the curtains and turn the TV up as well. But after a couple of years of WW3 going on round us for most of the year my dogs ignore them now.
Pete'sMum
New Member!
Female 

16-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks Clair,Daisy and Lynn-Yes I guess it is a matter of time.
Pete just hides under the bed ,which is fine but shakes for England and of course is just not keen on going for a walk now.
It is such a shame as he was like this when i first got him and it took months to get him on an even keel.
Will just have to start from square one again,i guess!
Thanks for all your hints/help