Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
If I knew best I certainly wouldn't be doing all these courses.
If it came out that way, then I apologise. I merely answered a question you directly asked. I gave a direct answer.

I'll find out if the BIPDT has moved on.
HTML Code:
I think they aren't bothered how you get a dog to sit, stay etc but more in how you get a class to do it
However, I've been to therory courses, one where the trainer certainly hadn't moved on. He learned the basics forty years ago and it was shocking. He kicked dogs, jerked a dog four yards and advocated E-Collars and Prong Collars.
??????????????????????
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-08-2009, 02:12 PM
It's like teaching kids if you haven't got any yourself. Oh wait!!!
Thats not strictly true, you dont have to have had a child to understand them... as we where all one once.

Not so with dogs, you have to have one to be able to understand one...

I'm not going to name the trainer in question but it didn't do her any harm!! Practical experience can be gotten from anywhere, in fact, a kennels is probably a good place.

Argh yes, but hasn`t she improved since owning one
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
??????????????????????
Sorry, i just re-read that and it looks awful!
When I said, "I think they aren't bothered how you get a dog to sit, stay etc but more in how you get a class to do it."

What I mean is, weather you use an aid such as treats or toys or just simple commands, they don't mind. It's not so much the methods but how you put it across (positioning in the class, voice control etc).
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-08-2009, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Thats not strictly true, you dont have to have had a child to understand them... as we where all one once.

Not so with dogs, you have to have one to be able to understand one...

Argh yes, but hasn`t she improved since owning one

Some people take it the other way though. One woman would only respect a trainer if he/she had large powerful dogs. She looked to the trainers own breed before she rated him/her.

Funny thing though, I would say 80% of trainers I know have problem dogs. Often it is how they began in the business.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 04:17 PM
She looked to the trainers own breed before she rated him/her.
As would I... it would be no use taking my dog to any trainer that wasn't very experienced with Border Collies. I also have the problem that many people haven't worked with Belgian Shepherds either, and if I happend to find a trainer who thinks they are just like a German Shepherd, they can take a running jump!

As an example: A friend of mine who's trained both his Rotties to a high standard and is an assistant at a training class locally came out with me and my dog. He was holding onto Merlin's lead in the park when an off-lead dog wandered into Merly's 'exclusion zone' and of course my doggy kicked off. Friend responded by hauling on the lead and raising his voice to tell him to STOP THAT NOW THIS INSTANT! Merlin responded by whipping round and snapping at friend... Who was surprised!

Admit I was laughing fit to bust, I'd told him many many times that you cannot bully a Collie or Belgian and if you're too hard on them, they let you know in no uncertain terms... they don't suffer fools gladly.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
As would I... it would be no use taking my dog to any trainer that wasn't very experienced with Border Collies. I also have the problem that many people haven't worked with Belgian Shepherds either, and if I happend to find a trainer who thinks they are just like a German Shepherd, they can take a running jump!

As an example: A friend of mine who's trained both his Rotties to a high standard and is an assistant at a training class locally came out with me and my dog. He was holding onto Merlin's lead in the park when an off-lead dog wandered into Merly's 'exclusion zone' and of course my doggy kicked off. Friend responded by hauling on the lead and raising his voice to tell him to STOP THAT NOW THIS INSTANT! Merlin responded by whipping round and snapping at friend... Who was surprised!

Admit I was laughing fit to bust, I'd told him many many times that you cannot bully a Collie or Belgian and if you're too hard on them, they let you know in no uncertain terms... they don't suffer fools gladly.
But then, if someone worked with a certain breed but didnt have a dog at home then surely they would be best suited to that issue?
The dog at home (or not) is irrelevant.

A behaviorist/trainer cant own every breed.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2009, 11:12 AM
But then, if someone worked with a certain breed but didnt have a dog at home then surely they would be best suited to that issue?
The dog at home (or not) is irrelevant.
I feel it would depend on what training methods and philosophies they subscribed to.
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-08-2009, 07:14 PM
To answer the original question...total and utter load of old tosh.

Me and Benson were 'dog listened' to when he was just out of rescue. Let's put it this way, as the Listener left my house, I chucked all the rubbish he'd given me in the bin, dusted myself down and accepted that I'd done my money.

Here's a little tip for anybody contemplating being dog listened...take £150 in used notes, make your dog sit, rip up said notes into loads of pieces and chuck them in the air...then tell your dog to fetch them.

It'll be more satisfying for you, your dog will have more fun and IMO it'll be better value for money!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2009, 07:23 PM
It's like teaching kids if you haven't got any yourself.
Really ?????? My brother was a very successful teacher for over 35 years & he has never had a child of his own & the same goes for his wife. I know lots of teachers who are well-cr*p & who have children.

Me on the other hand I actively dislike children & would never have made a teacher & I'm better at training dogs than people.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Really ?????? My brother was a very successful teacher for over 35 years & he has never had a child of his own & the same goes for his wife. I know lots of teachers who are well-cr*p & who have children.

Me on the other hand I actively dislike children & would never have made a teacher & I'm better at training dogs than people.
Exactly my point!
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >