View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nellie_dean
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-07-2009, 10:35 AM
It seems sensible to be feeding a bulky food that has slow release carbs so that he's not getting hungry outside feed time.
You may need to forgo the premium natural route though as these tend to be highly digestible and low feeding rates - not much help when the steroids are screaming out 'FEED ME!'
WHat about that old vet standby of Chappie tins?
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2009, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
I know, it does go to show how different foods suite different dogs. We had Hoki on Burns high oats to start with but honestly it was a nightmare. She was so hungry all the time that she was really bad tempered and constantly picking on Stumpy. We ended up feeding her extra bits and pieces to keep the peace, so of course then she didn't lose any weight.

Hammer - one other thought - do you give him bones? These might be a way to keep him occupied without him eating too much? (I could never give them to Hoki because she was too possessive of them and it isn't worth the risk to Stumpy).
I still wouldn't say it "suited" Ollie because he gets 5 cups ie 1000g per day to keep weight on him, which a lot for a 33kg dog that is wormed, not working nor getting an excessive amount of exercise. I have to add mashed tinned dog meat mixed with water to form a gravy to make him eat enough of it. But he looks well on it and will actually eat it, on the other stuff even the other dogs who are much better doers and love their food were losing weight.
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Brilliant guys, thank you all.

Firstly, regarding the hydrotherapy, Benson is scared to death of water. Even getting one paw wet is enough for him to run (or hobble) off home

We've also tried nearly every drug on the market...the vet has settled for PLT, 4 tablets a day. They said he needs something tough to stabilise the problem.

I've decided to try him on a cheap dry food packed out with green beans...I bought a few tins of beans in water from Tesco today. Might even mash up a bit of Chappie to make it tasty.

I never considered using cheaper food, thanks for the tip. He's been on JWB, Hills, Nature Diet etc etc, and of course is only fed small amounts.

PS...he's in the vets again today having two lumps checked out that the vet found last week. Poor fella, he's getting the lot
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
This is so true. I tried a cheaper dog food (Supadog) as an experiment once and it was mostly coming out the back end. If I had persisted with it mine would have lost heaps of weight which is why it was a very short experiment and they are back on premium dog food (Burns).
Did you carefully make the switch gradually over a week? If not, that could be the problem, not the food.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
Sorry, I meant to add that he is also on four steroid tablets per day which are making his hunger problems worse.

Somebody told me I should make up some gravy, such as OXO, and give him a bit of that to drink. That way he'll feel as though something is in his stomach but with virtually no fat or calories...any thoughts?

Thanks
Hi Hammer please don't feed any stock cubes to your dog, they have a high salt content which is not good for dogs.

Do you use a kong? They prolong the eating time and can help with hungry dogs. I would go for low fat foods like low fat cottage cheese mixed with chopped vegetables to fill the Kong.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Did you carefully make the switch gradually over a week? If not, that could be the problem, not the food.
Yes it was gradually over a week and gradually they did more and more and more poo!
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Not sure why people feel the need to feed their dogs so much veg. Yes dogs can eat veg, but they shouldn't be eating so much of it - commercial manufacturers put veg, wheat etc to bulk out the food with cheaper materials.

I also had a boxer who was on steroids (had a skin condition) so I know what you mean about your dog 'starving'. Try raw feeding, and give your dog a large raw bone to occupy himself with.
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Thank you very much guys.

Benson is now settled on one tin of Chappie per day, with 150g of weight loss kibble and some green beans.

I've also started giving him bones to nibble on when he really starts to beg.

He's lost 1kg in a fortnight and that's without hardly any exercise.
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Fantastic news
njm
New Member!
Female 

02-02-2017, 03:49 AM
I know this was not in answer to my question, but your info gives me tips to try with my "greedy" Chorkie.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2