View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Well considering we've had a very similar situation at our school and at present I'm nursing Megan at home with ? swine flu (they are not sending off swabs to confirm anymore) and don't give Tamiflu unless it's within 48 hours, I don't know what's the best advice. All of those at school with ? swine flu have never had it confirmed and it may be no more than the usual summer cold/flu. Personally if this is it, I'm glad we've got it now as it really isn't too bad - sore throat, aching limbs, bit of a temp and headache, but not terrible. What was frightening though was when we went to the Dr's at the beginning of the week (didn't think it was swine flu just she had a bad chest that wasn't clearing and has asthma) the receptionist rushed out and ushered us outside to wait in the car park. Megan was terrified - talk about suddenly becoming a leper. The best laugh is the Dr. doesn't even know - it just MAY be and all the children where performing their play at school the evening before, so it will already be spread everywhere if it is indeed swine flu. I'm not convinced it's not just a normal summer cold even now.
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Does make me think how much is scare mongering tho?
And it is convenient that a new flu virus has been "released" when the world is in an economic downturn and most countries are in a recession.......How much will the pharmacutical companies make from this again
Very interesting point, and similar to one made by a colleague of mine yesterday.

His thoughts were that millions, perhaps billions will be spent on vaccines...enough to save the NHS and kick-start the economy?
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2009, 12:07 PM
We've had the letter from school this morning! The rumours started about 2 weeks ago.
They break up next Wednesday thank goodness.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Does make me think how much is scare mongering tho?
And it is convenient that a new flu virus has been "released" when the world is in an economic downturn and most countries are in a recession!!

How much will the pharmacutical companies make from this again????!!Let alone taking everyones mind off of it by giving them something else to worry about.
Reportedly 1.3 billion from vaccine sales:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/5...u-booster.html

Interestingly, I read that one of the companies that is making the vaccine patented a vaccine production process, including the production of NC H1N1 virus, almost a year before the H1N1 virus hit ... I'm not into conspiracy theories but I wonder if it is true ...

http://www.theoneclickgroup.co.uk/do...pplication.pdf

They are also the ones that sent out contaminated flu virus material - contaminated with live avian flu:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...227?hub=Health

I personally wouldn't have the vaccine; it won't have been tested properly before going into man, just the 'mock-ups' apparently.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...b-1751547.html

A vaccine produced for the 1976 swine flu caused deaths and awful problems, such as Guillain Barre Syndrome.

Recently the US have protected the pharmaceutical companies against any lawsuits that might come about from the new swine flu vaccine.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31971355...lth-swine_flu/
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 10:43 AM
I don`t want to say there`s nothing to worry about, but I thought this was just another strain of flu? We get flu all the time. As far as I know it`s no more dangerous - that is, people with health problems are at risk, the rest of us recover.
In our area the schools have broken up now. Unless you keep your child indoors and don`t have visitors you are at no more risk than if they were still at school, IMO.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm not into conspiracy theories at all.

We are due a pandemic, we knew that before swine flu was even mentioned.

At work we had the official notification that one was due months and months ago, yes before swine flu was first talked about anywhere. It is just nature's way, and goes in cycles..... and yes we were given figures of how many people would be expected to fall victim to it.

We have stockpiled masks, gloves, aprons etc but will they help? Probably not. Esp as 99% of the people we care for are elderly who seem to have some sort of immunity. We wear the gloves and aprons anyway.

I don't think spending all that money on vaccines/drugs will kick start the economy anyway. Our business would be hit hard if we only had half the staff doing all the work as we would have to cancel non-essential calls, and as much as we have a plan to 'all pull together' I can't see that actually happening as we all do our shared hours anyway.

Tabloids sell on conspiracy theories, even the broadsheets have been scaremongering, for example reporting that pregnant women should not travel unless it is necessary when that has been on the government's website from day one!

I am not panicking.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 11:58 AM
not read all posts but ive no heard they theere is rumous about closing the schools in autumn until what nov??

so that means unis etc closed to stop the spread...... fabulous....
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 12:08 PM
I think the only thing I have heard about closing the schools was if there were not enough staff to continue teaching.....
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 12:11 PM
I would keep them off school. Its at my cousins school and my aunty has kept her 2 kids off. Thank god its the 7 week hols so it wont matter that much
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2009, 12:16 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8160314.stm

phew - sounds like the person who told me that was wrong - i dont want to miss uni!!!!!!
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >