Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
emem2323
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-06-2009, 06:16 PM

Dogs nose keeps dripping

Can anyone advice me on whether this is anything to worry about?
For the past few months, my dogs nose has been dripping! She can literally be lying down somewhere and there will often be a pool of water below her nose.

A while before her nose began to drip, she developed some lumpy bumps on her nose. We though they may have been caused by nettles or something and they did disappear after about 4 days. The bumps did come back a few weeks later, but then disappeared again!

Her nose is very wet.....now I did think it was best for a dog to have a wet nose....but for it to be dripping!?

I have checked to see if there is anything up her nostrils, but there isnt.

Is that common does anybody know? Is there anyone elses dog out there who has a drippy nose? She doesnt seem unwell at all and it doesnt appear to bother her. I just give it a little wipe every now and then, but its a bit strange!

Any advice would be appreciated before I go and paid a big consultation fee at the vets to get it checked out......

Thanks all!
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2009, 06:28 PM
If its dripping like that you need to get it checked at the vets. It could be an allergy or it could be something irritating the the nostril higher up like a grass seed or even a small growth.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2009, 06:36 PM
My allergic dog's nose has been dripping,so I put him on Piriton's twice a day and it's stopped now, so I'm sure dogs can get hayfever just like us humans can and the pollon must be rife at the moment in all this heat. Try a Piriton twice or once a day and see if there's any improvement, but make sure you use the cheaper ones that DO make you drowsy, you can't use the other ones on dogs! They're quite safe, I have been instructed by my vet to use them on my dog for his hundreds of allergies!
emem2323
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks very much for that advice. I will take her to the vets to get checked as soon as I get paid and will also mention the piriton. Thank you both X
mathildasmom
New Member!
Female 

09-07-2009, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by emem2323 View Post
Can anyone advice me on whether this is anything to worry about?
For the past few months, my dogs nose has been dripping! She can literally be lying down somewhere and there will often be a pool of water below her nose.

A while before her nose began to drip, she developed some lumpy bumps on her nose. We though they may have been caused by nettles or something and they did disappear after about 4 days. The bumps did come back a few weeks later, but then disappeared again!

Her nose is very wet.....now I did think it was best for a dog to have a wet nose....but for it to be dripping!?

I have checked to see if there is anything up her nostrils, but there isnt.

Is that common does anybody know? Is there anyone elses dog out there who has a drippy nose? She doesnt seem unwell at all and it doesnt appear to bother her. I just give it a little wipe every now and then, but its a bit strange!

Any advice would be appreciated before I go and paid a big consultation fee at the vets to get it checked out......

Thanks all!
Hello, I was wondering how you got on at the vet with this problem. I am petrified as my Bouvier has been dripping water from her nose for a couple of months now and waking up in a huge pool of water every day. She had an operation on her paw a couple of months ago to have a growth removed. The growth is back in exactly the same place again. I mentioned the water running from the nose by sheer accident(thought it was a cold) to the vet, and he now wants to see her first thing in the morning and has put the fear of God in me all of a sudden. She's only two years old, a huge dog who is afraid of her own shadow. I'm already devastated without knowing what's wrong with my little girl...
Merz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Hi emem2323 & mathildasmom- can't offer any advice but hope all goes well for both of you and your girls
Merz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2009, 08:37 PM
Just noticed the date of emem2323 post I'm just a bit behind time!!! but good luck mathildasmom
emem2323
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-07-2009, 01:28 PM
MATHILDASMUM-How did it go at the vets? I havent gotten round to taking Katie for a check yet. Shes going for her kennel cough injection next week, so was just going to mention it then.
Is your dog irritated by its drippy nose? My Katie never seemed bothered by it.....nor was she bothered by the disappearing growths?!
Sorry to hear your dog's growth has returned. At least, whatever it is, your catching it early.....which can only be a good thing! Sorry I cant be anymore help to you. Please do let me know what the vet has said and I hope your little one gets sorted soon.
Regards
Emma
odohvare
New Member!
Male 

08-09-2009, 05:14 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
My allergic dog's nose has been dripping,so I put him on Piriton's twice a day and it's stopped now, so I'm sure dogs can get hayfever just like us humans can and the pollon must be rife at the moment in all this heat. Try a Piriton twice or once a day and see if there's any improvement, but make sure you use the cheaper ones that DO make you drowsy, you can't use the other ones on dogs! They're quite safe, I have been instructed by my vet to use them on my dog for his hundreds of allergies!
You're very right. Dogs can be alergic and have reactions to a lot of things. Just like humans, they have an active imune system. That system doesnt wait for an infection. It is always on the look-out for something that shouldn't be there.

As many know(not all) when you get a mosquito bite, it itches(Basically, you are alergic to their numbing agent they use before they puncture your skin). That's caused by your imune system releasing Histamine. I bet that triggered a memory from Health Class. Humans have drugs, available from their Dr or local pharmacy, called Anti-Histamine. These drugs(when taken) float around the body and tell your imune system not to produce these histamines. Therefore you don't get your body doesn't react to them giving you hayfeaver, runny nose, watery eyes, etc.

Well, guess what. Our beloved pets get the same problems. They are alergic to a lot of things as well. Also, just like humans, these ALERGIES can develope as time goes on. So a dog, or cat, that you've had since it was born and has always been fine with your houseplants, and yard, might suddenly develope an alergy to them, or it. Just like people, these things develope over time.

The only recourse is to take the animal to the vet, get it prperly diagnosed and get a prescription for some Anti-histamines for your critter. Any time you take your pet to a vet to see if it has a new allergy, always take a sample or any plants, or any other new materials you have acquired at the time the new problem occured. It could be anything, but most likely it is something new. Take a leaf from a new plant, a new silk shirt, some desiner jeans made of some foreign material. Anything that you got at the time of and shortly before the problem started. Gather it all up and take it to your VET. They will be able to determine much easier if they know what they are dealing with at home.

They are, as so many of us consider them, people too. They have their Dr's and we have ours..