Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 05:40 PM

Does your dog train? (people, that is)

Daisy has discovered it is really easy to train people to throw her ball for her. She singles out a likely victim (usually a bloke) and drops her ball in front of him and looks cute. If he reacts in the correct manner she rewards him by teasing him with it to get him keen, then letting him do it again.

Do your dogs train people?
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 05:47 PM
Yep, Bryan will drop his ball in front of someone, then sit down with one paw raised up (just to make the cuteness factor bigger).

Person throws ball, Bryan runs after it but doesn't fetch it. He stands over it looking at the person until they go over to the ball and throw it for him again
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Bruce has visitors sussed out, he does things like counts with his foot, or bring them a toy, when they do the Awwwww and Cute, he then runs to the biscuit barrell So we then get asked , awwww can he have one
crystalsoul
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-06-2009, 10:28 AM
Awww, that's brilliant!
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 11:53 AM
oh yes. When someone pats Missy on the head, its not enough for her, so she will brush herself up against their legs, then look up at them adoringly, until they give her a BIG fuss
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Jobie bites me when I don't stroke him enough he's an oldschool trainer...
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Collies are expert people trainers.I spend my time trying to stay a step ahead.
Dale gets so upset if I don't do things the 'right' way. He even tries to tell me which toy I've to play with.Throw the wrong one and he just ignores it and eyes the one he wants to play with.
He loves water, rushes in and stands looking at me. He wants me to throw a stick. I've lost toys because he refuses to bring them out of the water He'll lift up a toy throw back in the water and glare at me. I'm refusing to throw sticks so I end up walking off and leaving him. The annoying thing is the number of people who come along and throw sticks for him and of course he brings them out of the water every time.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Kismet is a madam but I'm just not learning fast enough so she strops, stands there and whoos and uffs at me until I figure out what she wants.. It's worse than Lassie.. What's that Kismet? You need water? No your bowls full, you want to play, not ignoring the ball... You want a treat? Aleays, but that's not it... Okay I give up.. Is Timmy down the well again???

She has my neighbour and my Mum well trained... I bark, you feed me... Don't feed me quickly enough I'll bark longer and louder until you do.

Selkie used to run up to people on the field, sit down, offer paw, look cute, beg, lie down, roll over.. Until I would be asked ... Aw can I give her a biscuit?.... But in her old age, she has given up with the cute stuff... She just wanders over, poinks their treat pocket with her nose and barks at them, repeat till fed, or dragged away by me. I apologise for her mugging, but you'd be amazed how many just feed her!

Pharaoh... too dim... But has trained me to lift the covers and let him into the bed without waking me up!. I just wake in the morning with him snuggled in next to me, no recollection of him coming to bed... So maybe not as dumb as I think
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 01:33 PM
Woody has had us in Human Training School since November last year ;o)

If he's feeling abit peckish he'll give you paw. If you hold back of hand up its right paw, back of hand down is left. Rewards are frequent for this entertaining behaviour.
Woodstock
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2009, 04:26 PM
Magpye - when describing Kismet you could be talking about our little PAtches. I have never known such a "conversational" dog who gets upset if you don;t understand him. We are trying very very hard to teach him out of the loudly begging for food which had been reinforced for some time by his previous family.