View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 02:27 PM

Sensitve stomach - how long for 'results' to show?

(sorry, long)

For those who have dogs with sensitive stomachs - how long does it usually take between eating something unsuitable and the resulting liquid poos?

We've been having trouble with Stumpy. She was on pedigree complete at the shetler but we've been trying to change her over to Arden Grange.

Everytime we get to about 25% Arden Grange, she starts getting liquid poos. After over 2 weeks of trying, we gave up with the AD and she's been on Hoki's Burns (high oats) - not ideal for her as it is for overweight dogs, but at least it seemed to suit her stomach.

But OH phoned earlier to ask what I had fed her this morning as he came down to a right mess.

I'm desperately trying to think whether anything else could have caused it.

OH gave her a bit of bacon at lunchtime yesterday and she had a tripe stick yesterday evening. Her poos were fine last night and this morning when I took her out - it was only sometime (probably a couple of hours) after her burns breakfast that the trouble started again.

So, do you think it could be either the bacon or the tripe stick, or would you have expected the 'results' to show before now if it was either of them?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 02:35 PM
With Maddy usually the day after. If it were Maddy i'd say it was what she ate the night before, what she ate on the morning would probably show later that night or the next morning.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks Random.
Its looking like it could be the tripe sticks (or 'sick sticks' as OH calls them).

Shame as she really enjoys them. I'll not give her any for a while and see how we go.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Had a GSD with a sensitive stomach & he could not have tripe sticks, resulted in the runs every time.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Had a GSD with a sensitive stomach & he could not have tripe sticks, resulted in the runs every time.
Thanks - that would seem to tie in with timing following Random's comments.
No tripe sticks for poor Stumpy from now on.

Now I have to start wondering whether the Arden Grange was Ok and we just happened to give her a tripe stick on the days we increased the Arden Grange.
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Charlie would eat anything, but tripe sticks, pigs ears, and cheese all gave him the runs, he enjoyed them but the clean up was terrible so they are banned now!
Hope the AG works, I find Charlie is fine on it and his coat looks great.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

25-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Hi Fiona

I too think it may have been the tripe sticks.

If I were you I would stay with the AG for now using he 25% and no tripe sticks again and no other treats fat all or two days and see if she settles, that way you willno for sure and can take it from there.

Give the little love a cuddle from me and one to Hoki too so she does not feel left out.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2008, 09:35 PM
with ben its the by-products are normally the morning after.
hes got a terrible sensitive tum. pigs ears/baked bones/turkey.
he cant have too many breath freshner treats either.
i find he has to have dried food 3 weeks out of 4 keeps things nice n neat.
he cant have boiled rice either.