View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-05-2004, 07:54 AM
I find the same Thordell. My two will allow me to take their food away if the need arises. But if either pick something disgusting up on a walk (a dried cow pat usually) no way will they be parted from it
Carole
Supervisor

04-05-2004, 08:08 AM
Star is the same, if she picks something up, usually a piece of glass (her favourite at the moment) she refuses to drop it and you have to open her mouth and remove it but there is no aggression on her part. Just a look as if to say "I'll get another bit"
my_boy_sonny
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2004, 09:23 AM
Sonny loves that game - lets run around like a mad women while I try to get the dangerous/disgusting thing from his mouth
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2004, 09:32 AM
Hate that, you know that what ever they have could do them harm and you know that you should not chase, so you stand there and pray they come when called. Cowpats would not worry me biro pens and glass does, also the bottle of pills I dropped this morning that were fielded before they hit the floor
Alison N
Dogsey Junior

04-05-2004, 11:55 AM
Sadly Lizzy it's a case of the wrong dog in the wrong family here I think. Boyfriend has bought it, girlfriend is scared of the pup because of all the media hype .

I was told to do the food removal bit with my first rottie and after doing it about five times (then promptly giving it back with more food), the little madam would have taken my hand off if I tried it again. I've never done it with the subsequent dogs and never had a problem with them. I've come across a lot of dogs who do food guard as a result of owners being too over zealous with food removal, some that aren't - much depends on the nature of the dog like everyone has said.

I had a blind rescue rottie male who was awfully food possessive - having said that I could understand it as he had obviously been starved and had to fight for what he could get. I didn't make an issue with him over food but I do feed mine in a heirarchy - Doris went first, Keeper second then Fred last. After a week you could happily bump into his bowl, chuck your hands in to add some extra. Poor Fred, he hadn't had a very happy life.

Have to say that it's not something I would do with my dogs, I'll teach them to leave biscuits etc. and also to spit food out in exchange for something nicer but I never mess with their dishes - unless I'm chucking in extra food! I've always hand fed puppies and adults out of their dish to get them used to hands being around - having said this, one small pup who shall remain nameless thought this was a great plan and wanted hand feeding all the time !
Lizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2004, 12:46 PM
How sad for the puppy.

My brothers' girlfriend is the same, but my brother has respected her wishes (however stupid they are!). We were raised with English Bull Terriers, and now his business is doing well, and he and Emily live together, he wanted to get an EBT pup. She isn't having any of it! Won't even consider a Staff, and says she'll move out if he goes ahead. She comes out with the usual rubbish, "If you get a bad one, which you risk when you buy any dog, they can cause more damage than smaller dogs". I can't tell you how many times I've discussed it with her, drives me crazy!! I think he's hoping that she'll come 'round eventually.

I don't know how to get through to people like that, nothing seems to work. It's just a terrible shame that the Rottie pup has to be put through it. Do you know how old the pup is?

We've always hand fed bits to the dogs at meal times. If for any reason food has to be taken away from any one of them, I've never had a problem, the dog will just give it up and not try to keep hold. But to frequently take food away is asking for unnecessary trouble.

Do you think that there is any chance the girlfriend can be taught how to handle pup without being so worried?

Take care,

Lizzy.
Anonymous
Dogsey Junior

04-05-2004, 07:37 PM
I have always taken my dogs' food away - and immediately given it back again - and never had a problem. I always tell them "leave" first, and then take it. I certainly wouldn't want a child to do it!
I expect to take anything from my dogs, however delicious or exciting.
Can I ask how those who advocate NOT taking your dog's food away, how do you deal with your dog if it picked up something dangerous that you wouldn't want it to eat?
dizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2004, 10:31 PM
im talking adult here-not kids, but i think if you have the dog looking up to you-then it wont see itself as on the same level-therefore unlikely to even think about argueing over food--if i went into a kennel that a rott male was say chewing its bone, it would get up and walk away from it-and these where mature males used at stud. ---its the whole bigger picture-not just the food bowl
kinzy
Dogsey Junior

05-05-2004, 10:59 AM
IMO... for what its worth !!is if the dog realises where it stands in the social ladder and dogs MUST be trained below ALL humans imo. there should be no problems, its okay saying children shouldnt do it but kids can be kids....Any of my kids can take anything away from my dogs, food , bones toys without a fuss being made, my youngest is the worst, shes 4 and always taking things off them, but as long as the dogs see her higher in the pecking order there will be no issue
!!!!
kinzy
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

05-05-2004, 11:03 AM
Kinzy I agree, any member of my family can take things away from my dogs, but if Saffy tries to take anything off Max he will growl at her and vice versa. I believe its because both dogs know that the human family is higher in the pecking order than they are. Its something they learn from us as pups.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >