Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 10:01 PM

Natural antihistamine?

Anyone know a good natural alternative to something like piriton?

I need to get Takara on an antihistamine but would rather go natural than use prednisone...

Does anyone know of anything that works??
Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Hi !

Piriton is an antihistamine and a very useful tool to have in your medicine cabinet.

Predniselone is a steroid only available from your vet and should be used only under their guidance as there are implications for long term use.. It is very effective if used correctly.

I dont know of any natural alternatives,sorry.

Cheers

THalice's Mum
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-06-2009, 04:50 PM
I use homeopathy, although it's not one remedy fits all; it's more of a specific remedy for each type of cause really.

High doses of Vitamin C is said to be a natural antihistamine although I haven't tried it personally.

I would telephone a holistic vet and see what they say.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks!

I may try a holistic vet I am also going to give Kate a call at Natural Pet Choice as she is generally pretty good at advising these things.

So far I've found a link that says about the Vit C but not sure how high a dose it would need to be and whether she'd stomach it.

I'm also hoping to get hold of some echinacea and have sourced some local honey.

Apparently local honey is good for plant based allergies as it's the same pollen being used as that that causes the reaction so by adding a teaspoon or two to their food daily you can build up a resistance.

Interesting!

Thalice, I was going to use piriton but I thought this contained Prednisone? It says that repeated use of this can cause problems so am going to try the natural route first - thanks though!

Now.. where to find a holistic vet!
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post

Apparently local honey is good for plant based allergies as it's the same pollen being used as that that causes the reaction so by adding a teaspoon or two to their food daily you can build up a resistance.

Interesting!
That is very interesting, Amy has a grass allergy, I wonder if honey would help, not sure where i'll find local honey round here but i will certainly look into it.

Keep us posted if you find a vet, I would be very interested to hear what they say.

Cheers for that Lottie
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2009, 09:09 AM
Hi, I don't know of a holistic vet in Yorkshire, although Chris Day does cover the adjoining counties, so I would recommend giving him a call.

With alot of conditions already diagnosed by an existing vet, holistic vets can prescribe via email or phone, so he may even still be able to help:

http://www.alternativevet.org/contact_information.htm

I've heard that too about the honey, although not had cause to try it so I'd be interested to hear of the results if you do try it. Honey is very good for health anyway so it certainly won't do any harm!

Regarding the vit C - I used high doses of Ester C to help control my dogs arthritis and it seemed to work pretty good.

I split the dose morning and night, although with vit C, the more doses per day the better, so if you can do more regular doses all the better. There is a study on Ester C and dogs, I have it saved somewhere - will dig it out and post later!
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Here's the Ester C study article - the details of the study are towards the bottom of the page:

http://www.justamere.com/newsletter/vitaminC.asp

In the study they used Ester-C (developed and registered as C-Flex for animal use) at a level of 30 mgs/kg body weight, three times per day orally.

When I used it, I just used a human grade one and it was absolutely fine.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
That is very interesting, Amy has a grass allergy, I wonder if honey would help, not sure where i'll find local honey round here but i will certainly look into it.

Keep us posted if you find a vet, I would be very interested to hear what they say.

Cheers for that Lottie
London Beekeepers Association
Becky
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2009, 09:43 AM
The honey thing I was told would only work if you build up the immunity before the hay fever season starts. I've tried it out on me ( not the dog) and it took the edge off, but not a complete fix.
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Now.. where to find a holistic vet!
I just found this guy in North Yorkshire if you can travel?!!

His website describes what I would be looking for in a homeopathic vet, so I feel he would be worth contacting:

Chris Almond - http://www.vethomeopathy.co.uk/index.html
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >