Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Muster
New Member!
Female 

19-11-2013, 03:34 AM

Tips for quickening responses??

Does anyone have any tips on how to speed up my dog's responses. We are new to obedience. My dachshund knows how to sit but at the start of each session she has to be reminded (with a light poke on the butt) and after that she will sit but does take her time. The trainer wants them to sit quickly. We do not use treats or toys so that is not an option I can use.
Hoping somebody can help us (we have only had two sessions in the course but practice at home every day).
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by Muster View Post
Does anyone have any tips on how to speed up my dog's responses. We are new to obedience. My dachshund knows how to sit but at the start of each session she has to be reminded (with a light poke on the butt) and after that she will sit but does take her time. The trainer wants them to sit quickly. We do not use treats or toys so that is not an option I can use.
Hoping somebody can help us (we have only had two sessions in the course but practice at home every day).
Why can you not use treats or a toy ?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Why can you not use treats or a toy ?
Your question doesn't really answer the OP's question. But, in answer to your question I'd have thought it was probably that the particular training class OP attends doesn't use that method to train. I recall when NO training classes did! Dogs still got trained without having their nose glued to wherever the treats were. I'm sure it takes much longer though.

I can't really help you with speeding up the sit OP. And not really sure how quickly you want your dog to sit either.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
Your question doesn't really answer the OP's question. But, in answer to your question I'd have thought it was probably that the particular training class OP attends doesn't use that method to train. I recall when NO training classes did! Dogs still got trained without having their nose glued to wherever the treats were. I'm sure it takes much longer though.

I can't really help you with speeding up the sit OP. And not really sure how quickly you want your dog to sit either.
Reward trained dogs do NOT have their noses glued to treats. I've been reward training dogs for nearly 50 years(will be next year) so it's nothing new(& it was at a BAA branch-now BAGSD)

The reason why I asked was to know what advice to give if it is the class that bans the use of treats or the OP
Muster
New Member!
Female 

19-11-2013, 08:13 PM
It is the class that bans treats out on the training field, they use praise. He wants the dogs 'butts down quick' Steffi seems to want to think about it for a little while (perhaps she is waiting for the finger to the rump as the signal - I just don't know). She has only just mastered the 'stand' and gets lots of praise for that - maybe that is confusing her.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2014, 07:27 AM
When she sits try to purse your lips at the same time and make a sound and then praise effusively. This gets the head up and the bottom goes down. Eventually you can purse your lips as if going to make a sound eg:whistle or raspberry noise and she will sit. We teach the watch at classes for attention for any exercise and word association. We do use treats but eventually they are not used because at some point you may run out of them. Try it and see what response you get with various noises. You will find that one noise will get the response you need.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-08-2014, 04:22 PM
I'm going to follow this thread if that's ok as my dog is taking her good citizen gold and we have to do a stop the dog and I'm using the word sit which she does but instead of being instant she will creep a few steps. I have been using treats and toys but I'm not allowed to on the test
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2014, 08:56 AM
How is the quick sits or stop going? Usually an urgent wait before saying sit or down works, they have to be rolled into one: waitsit! Urgently said with a louder voice than usual. Don't use her hame as this can make the dog turn before stopping. Hence the creeping forward before stopping.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2014, 02:04 PM
I would think your dog may be slower to sit due to her long back?? I don't think I'd be poking her just doesn't sound much fun for the dog. Can you not use toys or treats when training at home and transfer to praise or even a bit of a game with you i class situation
Muster
New Member!
Female 

28-08-2014, 08:47 PM
We are getting quicker sits through me giving her the command earlier and only rewarding quick sits. I was giving the command on my last step, now I give it the step before. Handler error AGAIN. Another of my errors was drifting into her, so I read that I should think of us in two lanes of traffic, I wouldn't let my car drift into the other lane so I should be
more aware of her lane. When I get my act together we should do well.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >