Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ThirstyDog
New Member!
Female 

09-01-2016, 01:30 PM

Your favourite tracking harness?

Klaus's harness is too restrictive around the neck I think and I was wondering what everyone else uses for a harness. Which ones do your tracking/odour detection dogs use?
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Take a look at the Julius K9 Power Harness.

They're used by several police forces in Europe. They come in several different sizes and colours, including a camouflage pattern. I know you can buy them in the US, but aren't sure about Canada.

My Pei and Mini Schnauzer will be starting scent work and tracking as soon as the weather improves and I've just ordered one for each of them.
ThirstyDog
New Member!
Female 

09-01-2016, 03:28 PM
Thank you, I had heard about the Julius K9 harnesses, but Amazon was selling them for $100+ and I was startled by the price. They seem to be less expensive on the actual Julius K9 website though, now that I take a look. Nice to know they are used by the police forces, though, must mean they're good
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-01-2016, 03:39 PM
This is the Julius K9 harness I got from Zooplus, a lot cheaper than most sites
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/d...9327?rrec=true
ThirstyDog
New Member!
Female 

09-01-2016, 03:45 PM
Oh, thank you!

My other thought was would it be more pertinent to get the belt harness vs the power harness? I'm not sure what works best or if there is a difference.
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-01-2016, 04:44 PM
At present Georgina, my Pei is wearing a Hunter Norwegian Racing Harness which is very similar to the Julius K9 Belt Harness. The only major difference I can see between the two is that the ring you clip the lead onto is on the handle.

She seems to find the harness uncomfortable, even though it fits her properly, and I've noticed if she pulls even slightly, the whole harness tends to distort (if that makes sense). It could of course be due to the lead being clipped onto the handle, but whatever the reason neither she nor I find the harness satisfactory, which is why I've decided to change it for the Julius K9 Power Harness.

She weighs 37 pounds but even so is a powerful dog for her size.

Hope that helps.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-01-2016, 08:16 PM
I favour a standard four buckle, bridle leather tracking harness, and a non slip webbing line. However, I will admit to using basic nylon webbing in muddy conditions - just rinse through after use, and can be dried using heat. Simples!
ThirstyDog
New Member!
Female 

09-01-2016, 11:41 PM
Thank you for your input everyone! I think I have an idea of which harness we will use.