Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 11:13 AM

Walking boots and wellies.

Can anyone recommend me any waterproof walking boots and wellies, for now I just need some cheapies just to get me through this winter, or until new year or summat when I can put more money towards a decent pair of each, as this year I don't wanna be having wet feet all the time, its not the nicest thing, I did have some shoezone wellies but they've just gone through above the ankle, so not really ideal for anytime working outside, I was thinking of eventually getting hunter wellies, but are they as good as their made out to be, or is there another type or brand of wellies that are just as good but cheaper, all my other wellies always end up holey so eventually I want something that will last longer, they don't have to look great (will be used just to keep dry around a animal sanctuary), but would like them to be comfy, and I'd also want some walking boots, waterproof, as they seem warmer and more comfy for when I'm doing dog walking, or when I don't wanna wear cold wellies, and as a extra where can I get cheap but water proof trousers for this year? And for next year wheres best to go to for good quality and comfy waterproof trousers? Any help on anything would be greatly appreiated. Thanks .
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 11:21 AM
Cannot help you with cheap I am afraid

I wear leather Anatom walking boots, light, deep and wide for my crummy feet, goretex

In the summer I have a light Aigle Wellie

For Winter I have Muck Boots Derwent model Wellie with neoprene legs etc which means they are nver cold and I can just wear pop sox or thin socks with them.

Overtrousers I get mine from outlets Regatta or Cotswold Outdoors, I have ski trousers for when it is extra cold.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 11:30 AM
Thanks, when I get my money organised I will look out for them, coz eventually I want a winter where I keep warm and dry when working, never had one yet, and every winter I've been working out with animals, can I ask though are horse riding gloves generally water proof? As last year when I was out working with the horses my dappy finger was playing up, and riding gloves look comfy and flexible, so if their water proof they may help, theres not really any heaters where I'm working, and I wanna keep my finger warm, but not be restricted, as last year it started hurting, but that might of also been the amount of water I was using as I was tack cleaning a lot to, big thick gloves may not be the most convient, but if I can keep dry while working and maybe have some thicker gloves for when I'm playing with the dogs etc it may make winter more enjoyable.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 11:46 AM
I have a pair of dublin waterproof fleece riding gloves, I also have a pair of waterproof, windproof fingerless gloves which change into mittena and vice versa and have stood outdoors all day judging with dry and warm fingers.

I also have a pair of mammut ski gloves for arctic conditions
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks, will look into them, any gloves I have would ideally be able to withstand outdoor cleaning, with brooms, mops, squeeges, and dust pan and brush, anr water when on dogs and cats hot water, on rabbits cold, be able to deal with carrying buckets of drinking water, be able to be make handling dogs, cats and rabbits, and make working with sheep, goats and horses easy, and keep my dappy finger warm, which is my ring finger, last year it got to the point where I couldn't keep it straight, but I think I may be asking too much of a pair of gloves, maybe it will have to be a case of morning cleaning being a pair of thin but warmish gloves with rubber gloves on top and see how that goes, and then get some other gloves like the ones you recommend for general working after cleaning to allow working with the animals to not be restritive, but warm.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 01:58 PM
waterproof overtrousers - aldi about £12

Ive been looking at wellies for my boyf today and although he would love a pair of chemau we both agree that over 300 for a pair of wellies is obscene! there was a pair of unisex neoprene lined hunters on amazon for between 59 and 100 and something depending on size (unfortuantely 112 in his size gah so that ruled them out)

i had a pair of standard hunters and wore them for riding occasionally and they split on the side of the ball of my foot and i didnt htink the sole was that great (or maybe im just a clumsy ass that cant stay upright on slimey footpaths!)

i used to have a pair of muckboots that were 'fur' lined but felt they made my feet a bit sweaty?

what size are you? ill be looking around for bargains for boyf so can check your size while im at it and let you know

gloves - my friend bought me sealskinz for xmas last year and they are waterproof but i found i got a bit sweaty using them so far (i have gammy knuckles on my pinkys that get v painful) but imagine they would be perfect in the really cold weather they are a bit pricey but if you are working in all weathers all the time a good investment
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-10-2011, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
waterproof overtrousers - aldi about £12

Ive been looking at wellies for my boyf today and although he would love a pair of chemau we both agree that over 300 for a pair of wellies is obscene! there was a pair of unisex neoprene lined hunters on amazon for between 59 and 100 and something depending on size (unfortuantely 112 in his size gah so that ruled them out)

i had a pair of standard hunters and wore them for riding occasionally and they split on the side of the ball of my foot and i didnt htink the sole was that great (or maybe im just a clumsy ass that cant stay upright on slimey footpaths!)

i used to have a pair of muckboots that were 'fur' lined but felt they made my feet a bit sweaty?

what size are you? ill be looking around for bargains for boyf so can check your size while im at it and let you know

gloves - my friend bought me sealskinz for xmas last year and they are waterproof but i found i got a bit sweaty using them so far (i have gammy knuckles on my pinkys that get v painful) but imagine they would be perfect in the really cold weather they are a bit pricey but if you are working in all weathers all the time a good investment
Did you see the 20% 0FF on amazom..
Until 23.59 [GMT] on Sunday, 30th October 2011, buy clothing, shoes and accessories from Amazon.co.uk and you can claim 20% off the Amazon.co.uk selling price with promotional code AUTUMN20
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Thanks Dobermann, I think theres a Aldi local somewhere, so if I can't get there will ask someone else to run in for me , with Wellies, well for normal shoes I'm a size seven, but wellies seem to be size eight (I know big feet, the other month someone was speaking to me and my cousin and decided to tell us how the girls in our family must have massive feet ), will look out for the gloves, as when I have more money to get decent waterproof things the more brands or types people recommend the better chance I have of getting what would be best , and if you struggle with hunters for being clumsy their prolly not suited for me, I'm one of the most clumsy people I know! Although with five pets of my own and two foster kittens I think like you £300 is a bit steep for wellies, specially as its just for work, and their not exactly designer heels are they .
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 02:15 PM
hiya

yep sure did still made em kinda expensive with his big plates of meat for something that will only be used occasionally (am all about return on investment )

hes more concerned about them looking cool (ie theyve got to have the zip down the side like the chemau ones **rolls eyes***
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2011, 02:16 PM
shoezone £12 wellies took me all through the end of last Autumn, The Big Freeze we had last year and then the spring and are still going!

If you can't afford to go up to the 'big names' then a pair of them, add a pair of thermal insoles, pair of thermal socks over leggings, then your waterproof trousers over... Sorted.

For walking boots you will pay, basically, I dont think you get a good, guaranteed waterproof walking boot without paying since most rely on the technical fabrics incorporated into them to make them guaranteed, hence the price goes up. However, I do know someone that has worn very expensive Berghaus boots and still recomends Hi-tech as a walking boot, so they might be a bit better price wise too?

Have a look around the sales next summer, I got a 3-in-1 jacket and a pair of waterproof, light weight, Goretex lined, leather, removable insoles.....add both together and it was under a hundred quid!! Would have cost that just for the boots at full price!

I even started a thread LOL
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >