Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Joanne-clare
New Member!
Female 

20-07-2010, 08:32 PM

Ear mites

My poor curtis is sufferin with ear mites does any1 no if i can get rid of them 4 good. Or o i have 2 keep going back an forth 2 the vets when his tablets run out. The ear drops thy give dnt help at all. An its drivein him insane xxx
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 08:50 PM
hi

do you have cats?
are they defo ear mites?
what drops where you given?

have you been using a cleaner before the medicated drops? as ear mites make the ear over produce wax.and any medicated drops wont work unless you break this down first
Joanne-clare
New Member!
Female 

20-07-2010, 09:00 PM
No dnt ave cats an he hardly ever goes ner my mums. The vet gave us 3 differant types of drops. Tryed them all. They also gave us shampoo as he has them on his body to. That doesnt work Only the tablets seen 2 work. We know this because when the tablets have run out it comes ak.

The vet has never mentioned 4 us 2 do anything other than put the drops in his ears. We try cleaning it before but its that sore he wont let us near him. I just want a permanent Treatment as were at the vets every 2 weeks.

Thy scraped his skin the last time we were there. So hoppefully they have found something x
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2010, 09:22 PM
... so its not ear mites

... if you have been given shampoo i take it he is sore or itchy elsewhere too?

firstly i would want my dog treated with advocate to rule out the two types of mange mites,ear mites and fleas whilst i waited for the results of the skin scrape(was it a scrape or a plicking for ringworm,or both?)
skin scrape for mites should be fairly instant results,ringworm takes a few days(unless diagnosed with a woods lamp)
and as horrible as it is,you have to clean the wax(black stuff)out of his ears..try and make it a fun thing,with toys and/or treats.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 07:25 AM
It may not be mites. It could be a yeast or bacterial infection or even a grass seed. I would be going back to the vet, or changing vet TBH. My vet does a test in house to determine if any yeast or bacteria is causing it.
If it is mites, an excellent treatment is Stronghold spot-on. If your vet hasn`t suggested this, ask why not - it may be they don`t think it is mites, but they should have told you.
Jessi Clark
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
It may not be mites. It could be a yeast or bacterial infection or even a grass seed. I would be going back to the vet, or changing vet TBH. My vet does a test in house to determine if any yeast or bacteria is causing it.
If it is mites, an excellent treatment is Stronghold spot-on. If your vet hasn`t suggested this, ask why not - it may be they don`t think it is mites, but they should have told you.
I agree, stronghold cleared up chesters ear mites after other drops didn't finish the job properly, def. worth asking your vet about.
Joanne-clare
New Member!
Female 

22-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Curtis had a cancelation today with his vet they said its deff not mites. They think it is a form of excemia. So they have gave us a couse of tablets an are going 2 look 4 other meds 2 treat it more permantly xxx Thanks