Our sister sites
Our sister sites
annspot80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-11-2009, 12:14 PM

lack of nails ?

Hello all.
I asked this question a while ago, but didn't get any response.
My dally pup is missing some toenails - 2 on his one back foot and 1 on the other.
Im not sure if he had chewed them off when he was a baby, but the breeder said she has never seen it before, and the vet said the same thing.
I was hoping to show him, but i can't now unless something grows.
I know i should of maybe asked for the dog to be a little cheaper because of this, but i let my heart rule my head - wouldn't be the first time lol.
Has anyone had this with there dogs ?
Would love to hear from you x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by annspot80 View Post
Hello all.
I asked this question a while ago, but didn't get any response.
My dally pup is missing some toenails - 2 on his one back foot and 1 on the other.
Im not sure if he had chewed them off when he was a baby, but the breeder said she has never seen it before, and the vet said the same thing.
I was hoping to show him, but i can't now unless something grows.
I know i should of maybe asked for the dog to be a little cheaper because of this, but i let my heart rule my head - wouldn't be the first time lol.
Has anyone had this with there dogs ?
Would love to hear from you x
Hi Ann, a picture of the toes would be helpful. I would dismiss the notion that the puppy chewed them off, this is highly unlikely.

If there is a nail there but it isn't growing there could be a problem with the nail bed. If there is no nail at all I would suspect a congenital deformity of some kind.

ETA .There is a congenital deformity called anonychia