Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 07:33 PM

Ear Mites

Poor old Woody has ear mites!!

I'm abit cross actually as we asked our previous vet to check his ears a few months back and he was given the all clear but vet today said quite a bad case so possibly had them a while!!

I knew something wasn't right but I didn't think to persue it until now. I'm a bad Mummy ;o(

Anyway, we need to use fluid in them twice a day and no swimming for now!! Typical as we're off camping in the New Forest this weekend and were going to take him to the beach!

So, what are mites and how can you get them? Is it really true that they could have been there for a while? Also, she's convinced that this is why he's become so fearful of me touching his ears.

Poor old Woody.
lilyput
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2009, 07:39 PM
You should use Thornit Ear Powder. It is great stuff.
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2009, 07:41 PM
Ear mites are a tiny form of insect - out of our normal eyesight range, so don't feel bad for not seeing them.

They usually make the body create dark brown crumbly wax - did you see any of that?

Touching his ears would have set off itchiness so I suspect he was trying to avoid that.

It is contagious so that's how he could have got them. It is usually a sign that the body's immune system is a little under par though as they tend to pick on the least healthy body available (sorry to tell you this), so you might need to look at his overall health picture to see if there's anything that needs addressing.

If you're into herbal remedies, there is an oregano oil recipe I can give you that is recommended by a holistic vet.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 07:42 PM
Stronghold Spot-on does ear mites as well as fleas. Don`t poke around in the dog`s ears or you can compact the wax BTW.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Finn has had them in the past. We used Stronghold from the vet to get rid of them and then like Lilyput says Thornit is good for keeping them at bay. I brush the inside of Finn's ear flaps with a small amount of Thornit a few times a week avoiding the ear canal.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks guys. Great advice. Am trying to read up on it now. I feel bad I didn't know about it before, I just knew something wasn't right but the stupid vet said they were fine!

Black, crusty wax in his ears ;o(

We need to do the treatment twice a day for a week and go back to see how things are.

Poor little chap.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 07:59 PM
What they really like is, when you`ve put the drops in, massage the base of the ear. You`ll hear it `squidge` when you`re doing it right. Dogs tend to go cross-eyed with ectasy and occasionally fall over.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
What they really like is, when you`ve put the drops in, massage the base of the ear. You`ll hear it `squidge` when you`re doing it right. Dogs tend to go cross-eyed with ectasy and occasionally fall over.
Yes, thanks, he was doing that at the vets earlier, was so funny to watch. She recommends we do this everytime.

She suggested that sorting this out would help calm his behaviour down too!! I'm not surprised if it's a nasty for them as it seems.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 08:19 PM
horrible nasty things, like the others have said, massage the drops in well, when they have cleared up, do his ears once a week, with eithe ear cleaner or thornit, spaniels are prone to manky ears anyway
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2009, 09:16 PM
OK Lizzy, will do.

Apparently ''Advocate'' is a good flea treatment from now on as that covers mites as well as the other two nasties.

What with these and all the sticky buds getting caught up in his ears he really is full on in the summer in terms of grooming eh!! ;o)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >