Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Annika
New Member!
Female 

07-11-2017, 05:20 PM

Puppy Wait List Etiquette?

Hi all, was hoping to get some experienced thoughts on this as I am totally clueless.

As I said in my intro thread, I'm finally in a position to bring home my first dog as an adult, and after much research into breed needs and temperaments, I've settled on a breed which is fairly rare in the UK (from what I can tell, there seem to be about 3 litters produced a year). I've been speaking to a lovely breeder and she has agreed to meet me on a walk in a couple of weeks (so excited!), after which, if she likes me and I am still interested, she will put me on her waiting list for the litter she is planning in the summer. When the puppies are born, she will allocate them to the most suitable people on her list at that point in time.

That all sounds very fair and reasonable to me, but my question is, from my perspective, is it allowable to speak to other breeders about going on their lists? I don't want to put anyone out or behave badly in any way, but equally if I go one breeder at a time and the ones I like only have one litter per year maximum, I could end up waiting years to be selected for a puppy.

Apologies if this is really obvious and in bad taste to ask, I genuinely don't know what the protocol is and would hate to assume and accidentally offend. Many thanks in advance for any advice!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-11-2017, 05:56 PM
Yes it is acceptable, I've done it myself after waiting two years and no pup I then went on another breeders waiting list. As it happened I was offered a pup immediately from a breeder who's list I had been on before. Not all planned breedings work out.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-11-2017, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Annika View Post
I genuinely don't know what the protocol is and would hate to assume and accidentally offend. Many thanks in advance for any advice!
Flippin heck, this is 2017 and you don't want to accidentally offend.

Sadly there can't be many people like you around, my experience is that people today couldn't give a dam about offending and do it all the time, on the phone, in the supermarket, and of course almost every TV reality show is full of muppets with no brains who think they can become a star just by being ignorant, pretentious, and offending everyone

OK having got that little rant out of the way I would say that you do have the right to contact other breeders, but likewise I think the breeder you have already contacted needs to know. Next time you speak tell her (him) that you are 'considering' other breeders, tell her (him) that they are still your first choice. The breeder (if they are ethical and responsible will be looking at more potential owners than available puppies and will want to pick the best owners)

Keep in contact, listen to the way they respond to your telling them, if they go ballistic then they are not the right breeder, but if they are understanding you will know from the words they use and the way they speak to you.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2017, 10:15 PM
Of course you can. After all you may not like the pups you see and they might not take to you.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-11-2017, 09:27 AM
Some breeders will recommend others in the same breed. Absolutely nothing wrong with approaching anyone else. It is your money to spend on a puppy with who you want to. If there are so few that breed the type you want odds on others will know anyway, word gets about very quickly
Toller
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-11-2017, 01:25 AM
One thing you want to bear in mind... if the breeder can easily sell her rare dogs, she probably won't want to give one to someone with no prior experience. maybe I am wrong, but it is something to think about.
Annika
New Member!
Female 

09-11-2017, 01:53 PM
Thanks all for your responses! I ended up discussing it with the breeder, she was very kind and reassured me that she doesn't consider prior experience to be that high on her list of criteria given that I show willingness to learn and good care of my existing pets. She also said that, in general, if the mating doesn't take or produces a very small litter, she would help work with other reputable breeders to find the people still on her list puppies. I feel really good about her so I've decided to just stay on her list and hope for the best, which was the way I was leaning anyway, but I feel much better about it now that we've spoken about it.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-11-2017, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Flippin heck, this is 2017 and you don't want to accidentally offend.

Sadly there can't be many people like you around, my experience is that people today couldn't give a dam about offending and do it all the time, on the phone, in the supermarket, and of course almost every TV reality show is full of muppets with no brains who think they can become a star just by being ignorant, pretentious, and offending everyone

OK having got that little rant out of the way I would say that you do have the right to contact other breeders, but likewise I think the breeder you have already contacted needs to know. Next time you speak tell her (him) that you are 'considering' other breeders, tell her (him) that they are still your first choice. The breeder (if they are ethical and responsible will be looking at more potential owners than available puppies and will want to pick the best owners)

Keep in contact, listen to the way they respond to your telling them, if they go ballistic then they are not the right breeder, but if they are understanding you will know from the words they use and the way they speak to you.
Go for it. You are the customer. It's your choice. Just be polite and firm.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-11-2017, 05:29 PM
Firstly can you sY which breed it is, only 3 litters a year makes it a very rare breed, and given this I can’t see how you could go on many other breeders lists. Also there is a danger of being labelled a time waster if you place your self on other lists, as word gets round and give such a small breed all breeders talk to each other and they could see someone who places themselves on multiple lists as not being serious .

But given your follow on post I see you have decided to wait for this breeder, and it sounds like she/ he will help you find a pup if the mating does not go as planned.