Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-08-2017, 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Still would never even consider it!
We did - and rejected it. If I had Max registered as Pet Assistant Therapy, and we already have had a positive assessment on that, we could maybe get him in as a cabin passenger. Even so, a long flight for a big, active dog doesn't sound like fun for him. Based on experience with him, I think he might tolerate it. He sleeps for up to nine hours overnight without potty breaks.

But the travel isn't just about flight time. Travel to the departure, parking, check in, and wait. Same in reverse at the other end.

And then, there is the concern that, when we get there, will there be places to let him run free as he does here?

I'd just rather go out of our front gate, just tell him left or right, and have a relaxed walk for an hour or so.

In short, I agree with you.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2017, 05:10 AM
No I am not sure about the flying for dogs but on trains for my dog it is great. Overnight or by day. So trains and ferries are worth considering. Mind you there are restrictions on some ferries so you have to check with the company running them. Hope the original poster let's us know what they decide in the end and let's us know how they get on. Saying that hope they have a great holiday.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-08-2017, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
No I am not sure about the flying for dogs but on trains for my dog it is great. Overnight or by day. So trains and ferries are worth considering. Mind you there are restrictions on some ferries so you have to check with the company running them. Hope the original poster let's us know what they decide in the end and let's us know how they get on. Saying that hope they have a great holiday.
I concur. And we may do The Netherlands that way. But getting to USA which is where my dear wife is from is a whole different ball game.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2017, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
We were planning on taking the ferry out to Santander with Ben. It is more like a cruise ship with special doggie cabs on the top deck with an exercise area. It sounded great, we were going to take the caravan as well and drive down through Spain to the Algarve and stay with a friend for a few days. With the temperatures as they are though on the continent we have decided that at 12 Ben is just too old to be able to stand that heat and also being so new to caravanning it is a step too far.

Trains are excellent too - never taken Ben on a train but i would not hesitate to do so. Tawneywolf used to travel up and down the country every weekend with her dog Tawney without mishap.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2017, 08:44 PM
My daughter who lives in USA has had dog's sent to her from Cornwall by plane. They travelled well but I'm not sure about it. I suppose for me I like my dog with me. The Caledonian sleeper is amazing for travel overnight.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-08-2017, 11:42 AM
I would think you are pushing it a bit on time line for the end of sept.. has your dog had all the injections he will need along with his pet passport, along with booking your flights, you will need an approved airline carrier for your dog, get in touch with one of the companies who do this all the time,they wil fill you in on all you need to know.

I have a few friends who travel their dogs by air to the algarve every year, along with knowing people who have exported pups to all over the world, dogs cope very well with air travel, it's us that worry more about the trip than they do.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-08-2017, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Personally i would never subject any dog to travelling in the hold of a plane for however short a period. It would be absolutely terrified even if tranquilised I would have thought and I thought that the hold wasn't pressurised? Much better idea would be to take the ferry and the train.
They do not tranquillise them any more , they have not done that for a long time, the hold will be pressurised and heated if livestock is being transported , the pilot will have been told beforehand.

Many many people travel their dogs on planes, it may not be for everyone, but the dogs generally cope very well with air travel.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2