Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by EdDTS View Post
Dogs however aren't blessed with being hand chosen correctly for every person, or bred correctly. That's why different methods should be considered to help every dog. I don't believe there is one way to help every dog, I believe all methods have their place.
So really what you are saying is that it is the owners who need the 'different' methods because they are out of their depth on how to train?

Far simpler to find a good, reliable trainer to teach them how to train rather than resort to physical aversives - just my opinion of course.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2012, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
You are right in so far as there are no single correct way of training dogs, however there is one way that should never be used in training & that is one based on fear, bullying, physically harsh & pain & unfortunately this is the very way used by CM
Agree. Dog training/behaviour doesn't have to be nambypamby, and yes there do need to be different methods for different breeds and individuals within the breeds (and crosses of course ) but methods based on bullying and fear are just wrong and unethical and abusive.

I like the fact that if CM practised his more extreme methods here, he'd be prosecuted and he knows this. Hence when in the Uk he behaves himself a bit more...

Wys
x
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
wys - here is the clip of the pits fighting - I saw it a while back but didnt know the back story

and sadly if you watch to the end again you will see how he fails this dog and its loving owners - he dosent 'fix' her he just gives the owners a new dog!

Wys
x
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-11-2012, 04:52 PM
And he blames the owners.............for their negative energy

Say no more
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
and sadly if you watch to the end again you will see how he fails this dog and its loving owners - he dosent 'fix' her he just gives the owners a new dog!
How do you know Cesar doesn't fix Trinity? In the episode aired on tv Cesar does rehabilitate Trinity and reunites her with owners Jason and Monica and their other pitbull Sandy. At the end of the episode both pitbulls are shown being happy in each others company.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2012, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
How do you know Cesar doesn't fix Trinity? In the episode aired on tv Cesar does rehabilitate Trinity and reunites her with owners Jason and Monica and their other pitbull Sandy. At the end of the episode both pitbulls are shown being happy in each others company.
OK fair enough - I was going on what he was saying there that he gives them another dog that is calmer and he keeps their dog forever
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2012, 08:12 PM
I cannot find the full episode any more - only this review
http://pitbullrescuecentral.blogspot...sar-erase.html
which really dosent answer any questions
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-11-2012, 08:25 PM
You silly "so and so!!lol
EdDTS
New Member!
Male 

10-11-2012, 03:16 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
So really what you are saying is that it is the owners who need the 'different' methods because they are out of their depth on how to train?

Far simpler to find a good, reliable trainer to teach them how to train rather than resort to physical aversives - just my opinion of course.
Nope. I'm saying that nothing is going to work for every dog.
In theory, you shouldn't need physical aversives, but it's just that, theory.
There's a place for those methods because of the few dogs that won't respond to it.
I advocate being positive, believe me, going to aversives is a last resort kind of thing to me but I do see a place for it.

Here's a video, you can watch the entire video but it's not really relevant to the point I want to make. The story he tells about his Malinois is what I'm talking about. There's a percent that will need aversives. Not every dog, and it shouldn't be a go to method, but it shouldn't be completely thrown out the window either.

http://youtu.be/-15QnSF_tZ8?t=6m45s
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2012, 06:57 AM
Originally Posted by EdDTS View Post
Nope. I'm saying that nothing is going to work for every dog.
In theory, you shouldn't need physical aversives, but it's just that, theory.
There's a place for those methods because of the few dogs that won't respond to it.
Every dog responds to the correct routine and techniques. Every dog is different, of course, but, believe me, physical aversives are not needed even though they are often resorted to. Finding the technique and motivation that suits the individual dog is key to good training.

I've heard so many times about high drive dogs, difficult dogs, headstrong dogs etc and yet I've seen so many times these same dogs being turned around without a physical aversive in sight
Page 11 of 12 « First < 8 9 10 11 12 >