Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Rottie boy. View Post
How rife is it? Do big dog owners look down their nose a lot at little dog owners, and vice versa, also when I'm out, loads of people cross the road, or turn and go the other way when they see us coming, how common is this?
Perhaps their dogs have issues and they are being polite and giving you a wide birth?
Millysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-11-2012, 05:02 PM
I have a springer who is not overly happy sniffed by other dogs, but everyone thinks because she's a spaniel she'll be really friendly and want to play with their dog. She tries to stay out of their way and I do say to people that she'll tell their dog off if it gets too close, but still no-one really believes me until lthey see the warning lip curl.

But I know of some fabulous rotties, bull mastiffs - the 'biggies' - and some lovely staffies, who people wont go near because of their reputation. Generally they have all been more friendly than my spaniel by miles.

I love bigger dogs and have never had anything smaller than a spaniel, but as I get older I can see there might come a time when I either give in and get something more manageable, or (more probably) take on an old guy who is less agile and just needs a loving home.

Only time will tell. But in any event, all dogs have their plusses and minusses and it's just finding what suits each person.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2012, 10:00 PM
If I saw you coming along with your dog I would cross the road. Not because you have a rottie but because Lana is reactive with other dogs and would cause a fight in an empty paper bag. I cross the road even if someone has a little yorkie
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2012, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't take the crossing over the road thing personally. A lot of people just don't like dogs full stop. Many people cross over the road when they see me walking with two dogs. Bizarrely most people don't cross over when I have one but with two (or more), everyone avoids you. Mine are not remotely intimidating looking either. Luckily I love it when people cross over; it suits me perfectly because I don't need to maneuver mine out of the way!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by Rottie boy. View Post
How rife is it? Do big dog owners look down their nose a lot at little dog owners, and vice versa, also when I'm out, loads of people cross the road, or turn and go the other way when they see us coming, how common is this?
Hi Rottie boy does it matter if they do?
My dog is my choice and I don't care what opinions anyone else has about her. Neither would I bother if someone crossed the road when I was walking a dog, that is their choice
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2012, 10:53 PM
If I see someone with a Rottie I usually make a beeline towards them. Most owners thank me for going up & making a fuss of their dogs. Ive never met an aggressive one yet. Maybe ive been lucky
Adele-84
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2012, 11:31 PM
I love all breeds big and small and so does Maisy, she gets a little scared of bigger dogs sometimes but as long as they are friendly and well behaved all is good. I always judge an approach on body language and actions of the owner and the dog. If it looks like the dog/owner doesnt want to be greeted I will cross the road with Mais, purely becuase she is soooo friendly and not all people/dogs like that. Poor little Mais on the otherhand just wants to be friends with everyone!
I would never base my judgement purely on the breed, and id always welcome the excuse to give a rottie a cuddle!!
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2012, 12:06 AM
Originally Posted by Anniebee View Post
Well, I don't have a small dog but I tend to look:

A) if the dog is off lead what its body language is saying.

B) if the dog is on lead I'm looking at what the dog's and the owner's body language is saying

Then I'll make my decision as to whether or not I'm going to walk towards them or not
I do that with all dogs no matter what size they are.
JamieWilson
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-11-2012, 11:22 AM
We have two greyhounds (softest dogs ever) and people sometimes pick up their little toy breed and tuck it under their arm until we have walked past.
Doesn't bother me really, it's their own ignorance.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2012, 11:30 AM
Ach I don't care what others think anymore. If they don't like Staffies it's not my problem, it's their ignorance.

However, I will l leash Dougal if we are out and meet other people with dogs, simply cause it's safer. Also not everyone likes having a dog barrelling towards them, and Dougal has a typical Staffy walk (waddle) so looks the part. Hence he gets put on a lead if I meet people.

I will say in his defence though I think he has converted a friend who openly admits she is scared of Staffies cause of their reputation. She will now come into the house and pat him a little instead of standing at the door and looking scared if she sees him. Eventually she'll have a Dougal on her knee
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >