Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Boxers dont slobber ............

Maybe this is tip the scales for you
we get alot of boxers in work, and none slobber. one does a teeny tiny bit but thats only when youre eating something really nice in front of him, but theres loads of other breeds that do that.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2012, 12:31 PM

some do!! got one here he slobbers and he hates it so he sneaks up behind passing walkers and rubs his chops on them to clean off the drool - and dont even ask about her curtains after he eats!!

If your heart is with a big dog you will go with one no matter the pros and cons

Im for medium dogs all the way best of both worlds

The biggest con for me with big dogs is life expectancy
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2012, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
some do!! got one here he slobbers and he hates it so he sneaks up behind passing walkers and rubs his chops on them to clean off the drool - and dont even ask about her curtains after he eats!!

If your heart is with a big dog you will go with one no matter the pros and cons

yes the life expectancy is obviously alot lower. but i would love to have a big dog, even if it is just the once.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2012, 02:53 PM

One of my favourite clients was a Boxer called Storm. Bless him, I loved him to bits, but when the session was over all my clothes got thrown in the washer, I needed a shower and even had to wipe down the walls and carpet when he left.

Loved the boy to bits, but he was the king of slobberers
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
One of my favourite clients was a Boxer called Storm. Bless him, I loved him to bits, but when the session was over all my clothes got thrown in the washer, I needed a shower and even had to wipe down the walls and carpet when he left.

Loved the boy to bits, but he was the king of slobberers :)
Yes you will get a few that do, but in general, they are not known as a slobbery breed, unless like x-clo-x points out, you are eating around them

I think the old fashioned heavy jowls type may have been more of a slobberer than today's Boxer, I know many , and heavy slobering is not something I recognise with my breed.

They will get wet drippy chops when they drink, but them so do my friends Vizsla, and after eating , you may find the leftovers on your clothes, they like to wipe their mouths on something

But when people say, slobber I think, the big heavy jowled breeds, like St Bernard, Newfoundland.

My point is the Boxer is no more of a slobber chops than any other breed, they all drip a bit of slobber on occasion.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

09-11-2012, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
yes the life expectancy is obviously alot lower. but i would love to have a big dog, even if it is just the once.
I am sure you will someday, whatever breed it may be, as for shorter life span, well you have to accept this and not let it put you off, due to having less years with your dog

I know my breed is short lived, some make it into their teens, but not many, 10 is a good average, some go younger (to many) some manage longer, yet would I trade a day of their company for a longer living smaller breed, not on your life.

Choose your dog on the breed and what you love, and hope they live as long as possible, (you can help a little with research) but life is out of our hands, so don`t deprive yourself of a breed you love, because it may not live into double figures.
Muskrat
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Don't tempt me with non slobbering boxers!

We met a bull mastiff recently and as we walked away my previously dog-fearing OH said "what was that dog and can we have one?". I felt very proud, but too much slobber!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

09-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
Don't tempt me with non slobbering boxers!

We met a bull mastiff recently and as we walked away my previously dog-fearing OH said "what was that dog and can we have one?". I felt very proud, but too much slobber!
Don't let a bit of slobber put you off, you will soon forget any slobber once you have a boxer in your life.....all negatives will fade behind the clowns they are, once you have one, you will never look back.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-11-2012, 08:34 PM
I always thought I would only have big dogs but then Scooby came along followed shortly after by Bandit. After loosing my two biggest dogs in July I found myself desperate for a big dog to cuddle and so I ended up with Malcolm.

Big dog pro's:
You have to wrap your arms around them to hug them (I love this)
People notice you have a dog and therefore don't tend to get in your way.
They make great bed warmers as they cover more of the bed!
I've always found my bigger dogs to be more placid.

Big dog cons:
If they have issues they can be harder to control, although not always.
They eat more.
They cost a stupid amount at the vets. Binky my 35kg (correct weight not fat) Labrador used to cost me £70 for an average vet visit if he had an infection!
There's rarely much room on my sofa

Now I have owned small dogs though I've found I love their adaptability!

Little dog pros:
They fit anywhere.
Cost less to feed and go to the vets.
I've found my little guys to be really easily motivated and they are always ready to get up and go.
I don't get a numb foot when they sleep on me!
They can be lifted over stiles.

Little dog cons:
Mine are definitely more vocal.
They have a higher prey drive (or certainly mine have)
People assume they can pick them up
People don't believe me when I say he may bite...
I spent Bandits puppyhood worrying about other dogs picking him up and ragging him, something I never worried about with my labs as by 6 months it would have to have been a huge dog to do that. I must admit I still worry now...

My suggestion - own both and get the best of both worlds
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2012, 02:09 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, jackbox, I think when you pick a breed you have to be prepared that some dont live as long as others, I've noticed this with flatcoats with cancer being so high in the breed, but they are such a wonderful dog, with great personalities you dont think of the negatives.

Totally agree with you on slobber. It really doesn't bother me anymore. It used to, I hated it, now the amount of dogs I work with, at least once during the day I will get slobber wiped on me somewhere, and not always by the breeds people seem
To suspect for slobber! The newfie we get in is one of the least slobbery we have. And when she does now I even find myself wiping it off her chops an down my trousers
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4