Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Gosh, I'm a little upset by that comment.
Firstly you appear to be exaggerating the situation quite a lot. From what I have read here it seem obvious that the majority of active posters are against Cesar Milan and his methods.

Secondly, You are using very emotive language to insult people for having or trying to have a balanced discussion on Cesar Milan.

I've never hit a dog or kicked a dog or shocked a dog and I certainly didn't come here to take over your forum with my opinions on CM. I came here because I thought I might learn something from other experienced dog owners.

As for people being tired of the same old subjects coming up again and again, well the forum would be dead if they didn't.

There are seven billion people on the planet and I ask you to just accept that there are different opinions than your own and these should be allowed to be expressed without being shouted down

I feel quite unwelcome here so will bid you farewell
with Metta

It's so sad that you feel unwelcome just because your opinions differ from the majority on here regarding CM. If you do a search on CM you'll find you're not alone and it's nothing new either.
For what it's worth I think both you and Rottie boy have remained remarkably civil in the discussion and you will find it's really not possible to have a balanced discussion regarding CM on the forum and never has been.
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-11-2012, 09:34 PM
It's so sad that you feel unwelcome just because your opinions differ from the majority on here regarding CM
I don't feel unwelcome because the majority differ from me, I don't mind that at all.

I feel unwelcome because as a Buddhist I won't even harm an insect but members here seem to have me down as a dog beater in my first few days so I have obviously not made a good start.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
O Lord! Yet another lovely-sounding person leaves Dogsey.

When will you guys EVER learn that we live in a democracy, and there are some people on this planet who may think differently from the majority of Dogsey members.

I have said over and over again how there are some things that CM does that I despise him for, but there are some things that I laud and use on my dogs. They work on my dogs. And yet I am made to feel like I am the cruellest of cruel because I happen to like some of CM's methods.

My dogs are amazingly happy, healthy, pampered and spoiled in the right ways - not by indulging them with treats the whole time, or allowing them to do what they want, of course not - but we bend over backwards to make sure that they are left home alone as infrequently as possible because they dislike this so much, particularly Tai. We don't go anywhere unless the boys can come too, we never go to the cinema, out for dinner, to the pub, or on holiday unless we can take the boys. It is something that we choose to do because we love them so much we do not want to stress them unduly, and because we don't mind the small sacrifice.

And yet I am made to feel the equivalent of a wife-beater because I just happen to like some of the techniques that CM uses.

I'm getting pretty fed up with that I have to say. Why on earth can't we all agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion and stop making lovely people like Shane want to depart from Dogsey.
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Azz, can't you see how bigoted you sound? It is YOUR opinion that there are better trainers out there ... there are many thousands of people who, like myself, can sort the wheat from the chaff and pick and choose what they want to. We are not all thick as planks, mindlessly copying what they see on the telly without thought. Rather than there be this massive vendetta against him, why not raise a Dogsey petition, or a Dogsey suggestions box that could be forwarded to his publicists. Instead of the mad rants against the bloke, some positive comments about how in this country he is not so popular as he is in the States because of the da-d-da-di-da, but some of what he advocates we like - the exercise, the calm assertiveness, the consistency, the rules according to what the owner wants, not what "they" say.

It is this fanaticism that is so unpleasant.
I don't feel unwelcome because the majority differ from me, I don't mind that at all.

I feel unwelcome because as a Buddhist I won't even harm an insect but members here seem to have me down as a dog beater in my first few days so I have obviously not made a good start.
I try to keep out of these threads these days but I feel I must contribute.

Shane - you are MOST welcome, don't leave. I think it is always a good thing to try to see the good in something so I guess that may be where you were coming from with your thread? Nothing wrong in that at all. Yet, people do get upset at watching this trainer making a living out of what many feel is abusing dogs - even in the Alan Titchmarsh show he did not argue when challenged on punching dogs.

So you see for many, there are no positives where this guy is concerned because he seems to have made his name while employing cruel tactics. So many people have been successful using positive methods and genuinely building a trusting relationship with a dog that it is impossible to justify using harsh methods.

Gnasher - I have a lot of respect for you but I think you are being unfair by shouting bigotry and fanaticism. I could no more punch Loki than I could my children to get them to comply, no matter what they did. You are an intelligent woman - can you not see that punching and kicking dogs (however it is dressed up for TV) is abhorrent to many of us? If you can, you should be able to understand why people would rather not have to be forced to accept CM as a "trainer" and so get upset by it. It's no reflection on you or Shane or anyone but you really need to understand that violence is unacceptable to many dog lovers.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 10:24 PM
It is never my intention to make anyone feel unwelcome
and as has been said in the many many of these threads I dont believe the majority of people posting in places like these actually use the methods that we are speaking out against
In the main - with one exception that I wont mention here - I do not think Gnasher uses harsh methods - or CM methods at all
Obviously newer people on here I dont know - but I always tend to assume that they dont use the harsh methods CM uses

It is not just my oppinion that CM cannot read dogs - it is seen time and time again - most recently with the Holly clip - it was clear to all Holly would bite - yet CM was surprised cos he cannot read dogs

It is not just my oppinion that CM uses cruel methods, it has been scientifically proven that getting a dog so worked up that they react so aggressivly raises stress levels hugly - which can shorten the dogs life. There are plenty other methods to work on to keep dogs below threshold which CM has been told about but he refuses to use them - therefore he is cruel

He does punch, kick, use choke chains, prong collars and he even invented a special collar to enable him to choke dogs more effectivly

Hi and his team DO wind up dogs to make them react - and they all laugh when the dogs are driven to react

He does get bitten and offer advice that will cause other people to get bitten

Yes possibly his methods do work on and save some dogs - but they also fail other dogs and owners, put bite histories on dogs when there is no need
There are plenty of other trainers who work with dogs just as aggressive - and they are careful not to get bitten because that makes it likely that the dog will get put to sleep

These things are not my oppinions - they are the truth
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
It is never my intention to make anyone feel unwelcome
and as has been said in the many many of these threads I dont believe the majority of people posting in places like these actually use the methods that we are speaking out against
In the main - with one exception that I wont mention here - I do not think Gnasher uses harsh methods - or CM methods at all
Obviously newer people on here I dont know - but I always tend to assume that they dont use the harsh methods CM uses

It is not just my oppinion that CM cannot read dogs - it is seen time and time again - most recently with the Holly clip - it was clear to all Holly would bite - yet CM was surprised cos he cannot read dogs

It is not just my oppinion that CM uses cruel methods, it has been scientifically proven that getting a dog so worked up that they react so aggressivly raises stress levels hugly - which can shorten the dogs life. There are plenty other methods to work on to keep dogs below threshold which CM has been told about but he refuses to use them - therefore he is cruel

He does punch, kick, use choke chains, prong collars and he even invented a special collar to enable him to choke dogs more effectivly

Hi and his team DO wind up dogs to make them react - and they all laugh when the dogs are driven to react

He does get bitten and offer advice that will cause other people to get bitten

Yes possibly his methods do work on and save some dogs - but they also fail other dogs and owners, put bite histories on dogs when there is no need
There are plenty of other trainers who work with dogs just as aggressive - and they are careful not to get bitten because that makes it likely that the dog will get put to sleep

These things are not my oppinions - they are the truth
Very good points and so the question must be asked - if others get results with kind methods, why entertain someone who does the horrible things Cm does? Why is it acceptable?

This is why many on Dogsey get upset by it. It's no reflection on you, Shane, for asking your question.

The idea that this guy actually hurts dogs in the name of "training" - and defends it - is very hard for people to bear. So since there are other ways as demonstrated by other trainers, it is hard to see anything positive in CM's methods as anything positive is zeroed out by a negative. If you see what I mean???
RinTinTin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-11-2012, 10:54 PM
Haven't read the whole thread because I've been here before but as for positive CM feedback: I like the concept of the different 'energy' people have and how dogs respond to it. I see it every day at work.

(I myself channel 'senior bitch' energy; kindly and nurturing but don't mess with me.)
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 11:01 PM

Nah, I don't think for a moment that anyone sees you as a dog beater. You raised a discussion question and it has been discussed. I've not read all the replies, but I'm sure that none of those who dislike CM's methods based on your original post believe that you raised it because you copy his techniques.

Hang in there, it's not such a bad place to get help, discuss hot topics or even just have friendly banter
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Come on Shane, you were not to know that your thread would touch such a raw nerve with so many.........start afresh with us tomorrow and find out what a lovely site this really is.

I may be wrong, but I think that you are the only Buddhist member so far and I for one will be looking forward to getting to know you and your dogs better.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-11-2012, 11:58 PM

Hi Shane,

Emotions will always run high around topics such as dog abuse. However, we do not allow members to get personal and had you reported the post our moderators would have removed such comments.

If you look around you will see people with a wide variety of views here, although naturally being a dog lovers site most of our members opinions are in line with that. But we're always up for grown up discussion.

It's interesting you mention you are a Buddhist, would you mind if I asked you how you feel about CM, given he punches and kicks dogs? What does Buddhism teach you about the actions of others - particularly when they are hitting animals?

I ask because it seems contradictory, that a Buddhist would think someone who kicks and punches dogs is 'ok'.
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-11-2012, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by Rottie boy. View Post
... so what are his positives?
There's the strangely named Dog Psychology Center - I'm sure there used to be a web page which detailed the background of the dogs there, many of which were ex fighting dogs. (The name is bit weird I admit !).

There's his promotion of spay and neuter campaigns - I seem to recall there was a push to capture and neuter street dogs in Mexico - as well as the US campaigns.

Involvement with reuniting dogs/owners after natural disasters (e.g. Katrina).

That's without touching on anything at all to do with training, so to my mind, to say he does no good at all is simply not correct.
Page 5 of 12 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »