Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by Ink View Post
I'm not here to get mixed up in a CM debate, but I've seen that exact statement several places, and I'm wondering whether people have any actual proof, or whether they're just guessing? I've known dogs that would react naturally to CM's nudging just like the dogs on the show, and I've known dogs that wouldn't notice you did anything if you threw a bucket of cold water on them.
It is difficult to find anything out about his actual methods because the owners sign a contract meaning they cant speak to the media
and many of his clips are taken down as soon as they go up - and companies in America have been threatned with being sued if they say anything against him

I have seen several times (and looking for it again) statments where when CM is to be working with a dog he has a 30 min period totaly alone with the dog
This is a worry in itself - no behaviourist should be training in seceret

Also there was clearly seen in the spisode with the GSD and the cat the GSD was fitted with a shock collar but this was not mentioned at any point - so clearly he is using more than just mystic energy and tsst noises - hes using electricity
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I most certainly do not dominate my dogs. I am their protector, I feed them, keep them healthy, I exercise them and generally make them as happy and comfortable as I possibly can. In return, they give us their undying love, loyalty and companionship - and force us to take them out for walks in weather that only dog walkers would venture out in!

Myself and OH are pack leaders - my dogs look us to us both as such. If you choose to think that this is a load of nonsense, then that is your democratic right Joedee, but I choose to think otherwise.

I know my own dogs, as you know yours, and I see proof positive every day that my dogs are pack animals.
So your dogs see you as other more dominant dogs & challenge you for leadership then ? This is CM's theory of the "pack"that the most dominant are the pack leaders, if he didn't he wouldn't try to stare down dogs, force them into defensive aggressive behaviour or totally shut down. He claims that the pack leader should alpha roll the lower ranked dogs in the pack, do you have to do this ?

My two youngest girls had a "knicker"fight last week, they stopped when I called "what are you doing ?"no dominant stance, punch, kick, threat needed, the fact they they both looked at me in surprise & then beat up on my youngest boy together(play fight)

Northern Designer breeds are no different to any other Spitz/Pastoral etc crosses. Unless they have actual wolf blood by crossing with an actual wolf close up in the pedigree, they are the same as any other "breed"1,000s of years of selective breeding away from the origin wolf ancestors.

I've lived with 2 groups of closely related dogs(, father, mother, offspring )from two different "breeding"pairs did they form packs ?? nope the boys related & unrelated hung out together & the girls ruled the roost, irrespective of which other dogs they were related too.

I did have just one dominant bitch, who quelled any disagreements with a look, she never "punished"any of the other dogs, she just had to look in the direction of the"miscreants"& the behaviour stopped & didn't restart. She actually ate last deliberately, slowly enjoying her food when the others had eaten theirs.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Gnasher - it isnt a wolf thing - trainers still use reward based training on wolves

and cats - you cant get more indipendant than cats!
Hal is not a wolf, at best he is a wolf cross with way more dog in him than wolf
I appreciate you are happy with how you train and you believe you are seen as pack leaders. To be honest what we think our dogs see us as isnt really important to them so long as we treat them kindly, fairly and consistantly

and yes I totaly agree that everyone makes mistakes
The problem is CM is not saying these things are mistakes - they are his training methods that he uses again and again and shows on his TV show for others to copy him
He CHOOSES to kick punch zap and strangle dogs
He CHOOSES to wind them up and force them to react so he can have his 'man v's beast' vewer pulling in battles
He CHOOSES to make his followers think he is saving dogs where others wouldnt (many of his followers truly believe that positive trainers wouldnt take on any of these dogs) and he is very quiet and sneaky about the many times his methods dont work - even tho he still shows them on the TV as sucesses - JonBee, Shadow, the collie in the garage and even Holly were failed by him and have ended up rehomed - but he never mentioned that his methods didnt work in those episodes
Ben - you're right about Hal, there was way more "dog" in him than wolf. He was a lowish wolf content - we will never know exactly what, but probably around 20-35%. But you never had the pleasure of knowing him - you cannot possibly know or guess what he was like, just as I cannot possibly know or guess what your dogs are like - why? Because I have never met them, and I would not be so arrogant as to state what they are, or not, or what they do, or do not.

All I know is that those CM techniques that I have already mentioned worked a treat on the old boy - and now we have his son, Ben, and they have worked a treat on him too. And on Tai, and on my daughter's chihuahuas and although I am half joking when I say this, even her horrible cat who she no longer has and who I disliked intensely because he was unpredictable and vicious, responded to some of the CM stuff.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
But you don't have a wolf you have a xbreed .
You have of course met Hal, and Ben. And you know exactly what you're talking about .... not!!

It never ceases to amaze me that some people have a sort of second sight, and without ever meeting a dog, they can say exactly what, or not, that dog is.

Can you not see how arrogant this is? How would you like it if I told you categorically - not even "IMO" - but bluntly ... "Jackbox, you don't have boxers, you have cross breeds?" Without ever having met them, or you.

I cannot be bothered to communicate with anyone so, frankly, ignorant. The word "red neck" springs to mind.

Having actually lived for a few months with an F1, (not Hal), I do know what I am talking about. For sure, Hal was light years away from the F1, but in turn Hal was light years away from a non-wolfy breed, such as your boxers. And that is not to denegrate your boxers, I am sure they are lovely dogs, but non-wolf crosses and indeed non-northern breeds in general and very different - IMO - from, say, a labrador. I have owned both, and they are about as like as chalk and cheese.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 08:24 PM
If I used c.m methods on my wolfdogs,then would lose all trust and respect in me..... Its a wolf thing
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
It is difficult to find anything out about his actual methods because the owners sign a contract meaning they cant speak to the media
and many of his clips are taken down as soon as they go up - and companies in America have been threatned with being sued if they say anything against him

I have seen several times (and looking for it again) statments where when CM is to be working with a dog he has a 30 min period totaly alone with the dog
This is a worry in itself - no behaviourist should be training in seceret

Also there was clearly seen in the spisode with the GSD and the cat the GSD was fitted with a shock collar but this was not mentioned at any point - so clearly he is using more than just mystic energy and tsst noises - hes using electricity
That just demonstrates your ignorance, Ben, about the misnamed "e" or "shock" collars. They do not deliver an electric shock, you really should get your facts right.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
If I used c.m methods on my wolfdogs,then would lose all trust and respect in me..... Its a wolf thing
Fair enough, that's your opinion - it's not mine. It depends of course what you mean by "methods". If you kicked Tupac, like CM kicked Shadow, then yes, I would agree with you. I have already stated that if I kicked Ben like CM kicked shadow, I would likely be savaged, he would not tolerate it.

But if you are talking about a knee nudge, or claiming space, then I would doubt very much that Tupac would lose trust and respect in you.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Aww,u forgotten about wylie already? lol
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
Aww,u forgotten about wylie already? lol
sorry mate, got an awful lot of hassle at the moment ... I'll need to do a search to remind myself, please don't be offended
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2012, 10:39 PM
Gnasher - you are getting a bit out of hand here calling people arrogent and rednecks

No I dont know your dogs - but I do know that they respond to learning theory the same as every other living creature. Yes they may be different from my dogs, and my dogs are different than someone elses dogs - but they are all thinking creatures and they learn by trying to make good things happen more and bad things happen less
Different dogs and different species have different motivations but they all learn in the same ways

and I do have my facts correct
an E collar uses a battery, a battery provides DC current
The manufacturars use the word 'static' to make it sound pretty - but static is still electricity - it is still the flow of electrons
The only difference is because the dogs skin is insulating the charge builds up an is delivered in one shot rather than flowing steadily as it would in a circit
Static isnt fluffy and nice and electricity nasty
Lightning is static electricity
But it is all electricity, so please could you get your facts correct before insulting me - especially when we have had this conversation before
Page 9 of 12 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >