Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 09:11 PM

Wasp Attack

We had a really good time on the 'scottish dogsey walk' today, except one incident which was pretty unpleasant.

Walking through the woods we were all (dogs and humans) attacked by wasps. I guess there must've been a nest on the ground and one of us disturbed it - but I've never seen anything like it.

The poor dogs were going as frantic as us and it was difficult to get the wasps off them (particularly as we were trying to get them off ourselves at the same time).

I think Star came off worst - she seemed to have been stung several times. They got into Stumpy's fur at the top of her legs - thank you Youngstevie for managing to get at least one of them out.

Several of us got stung as well. What was weird was the way the wasps managed to get to our skin by crawling up trousers/tops. Sneaky ******s.

I've never been particularly scared of wasps before, but I have to say that the attack was really horrible and quite frigtening.

Hopefully dogs and humans will all be fine after a dose of antihistimine.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 09:13 PM
God, that sounds awful!! I'm allergic so I'd have been a gonna!!

Glad everyone was OK in the grand scheme of things. Really horrid.

Off to hunt out pics of your walk ;o)
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 09:14 PM
I think we were all very lucky, I know I was as neither me or Bruno got stung as we were up ahead being Mr antisocial that he is. However I am very glad not to have been stung as I blow up like a balloon and need a shot straight away!

I have never heard of anything like it before - they must have disturbed a nest, but for them to crawl up legs etc i thought was quite unusual...

anyway glad that all are quite well, and hope the salt water helped them a little bit.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
God, that sounds awful!! I'm allergic so I'd have been a gonna!!

Glad everyone was OK in the grand scheme of things. Really horrid.

Off to hunt out pics of your walk ;o)
It was really lucky that Brundog was slightly ahead when the attack happened as she is allergic too.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Crickey, yes I see. Good job you were Dani!!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
It was really lucky that Brundog was slightly ahead when the attack happened as she is allergic too.
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Crickey, yes I see. Good job you were Dani!!
too right, the last time i got stung my whole arm blew up and my wrist ended up the same size as my whole shoulder and was agony, and apparantely the more times you get stung the reaction gets worse each time, so very glad that me and Bruno were in the right place at the wrong time iyswim.

glad everyone else is ok - although Estelle's looks sore and Random was saying hers is really sore too.

nasty wasps
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 09:31 PM
I was stung 3 times but I think looking at my back it's been more than once there as it's really swollen up and aching, whereas my finger and leg are just red spots and just sore if I touch them. Star has been panicking when she's seen anything flying by her, she's whipped round and started nibbling her legs again thinking the wasps are back, poor mite, but I have been the same to be honest so I can't blame her! My stings are still sore so hers must be too, she must have had about 10 on her at once and as I was whacking them off her they were getting me, what a nightmare!

I was thinking on the way home how when I see wasps in general, say on a rotten apple or something, i'd totally avoid it and wouldn't go within 10ft of it yet here I was whacking 10s of the b******s off us with sticks and Steph's sunglasses!

They were so evil!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Good job my OH wasn't there, he's a wuss when it comes to wasps! He gets proper flappy and panicky.

They are awful when you disturb a nest though.
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 09:39 PM
thats awful i hate wasps .
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Oh no - my old girl discovered a nest once in a hedge - luckily it was just around the corner, she was covered in them

Mum managed to get a bottle of vinegar and pour it over her, but she would never wal past that peice of hedge again, if I went past it she would run round to a gap 50 yards down the lane and round a field to avoid it
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »