Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 08:42 AM

Border Collie and Cars!

Hello all!

Now we've introduced ourselves, can I have some opinions on a problem we have with Cassie?

She is determined to spin round and bark at cars while pulling on the lead. This only happens when there is a lot of traffic but nothing else to keep her attention. We have one particular walk with only one way there which is over a narrow bridge. There's no other way to get there. When a car's coming she stops, spins round on the lead and barks her head off.

We've tried treats...cars are better. We've tried toys...cars are better! We have a halti that I only managed to get on her successfully for the first time this week. Going to try a short walk tonight to see how she is with it. Any suggestions would be greatly received. Oh, also, someone from another forum basically told me off for not training Cassie properly and said that halti's can easily break a dogs neck...no I'm no longer with that forum...she really frightened me with her words of 'wisdom'.

Thanks all,

Jackie
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 09:00 AM
halti's breaking a neck - what absolute rubbish - unless you plan on hanging ur dog from it then I seriously doubt it !!

Sadly I cant really comment on the whole car barking thing - am sure someone else will help. However funnily enough I drove past a small collie puppy the other day who did exactly the same thing= it was on a railway bridge too !! However I live in edinburgh so seriousl;y doubt it was you I passed !! But at least ytou know that someone else has the same problem !!

Does she get in ur car happily?
dani
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 09:22 AM
Thanks for the comment about the halti...I was in a complete panic but that wasn't the only drivel I was told! At least we're not alone eh? Think she may grow out of it as she has done with many other things. Will try the halti though and see how she goes.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-07-2005, 09:23 AM
Hi

May I suggest that you do a google search on "car chasing"+collies OR "car chasing"+dogs. You will find heaps of info & opinions on how to control this very natural instinct.

As for the Halti. If a dog suddenly lunges and is brought to an abrupt stop then, yes, the neck can certainly be damaged. You need to be aware of this and to restrain your dog before it has the chance to lunge and get hurt. A head halter on a dog works rather differently from a head halter on a large animal such as a horse, as the control is exercised from a different angle. Head halters are fine, and a valuable management tool, if you are aware of their limitations and disadvantages.

SB
BorderCollieLvr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 10:15 AM
Id get a gentle leader and take some toys or treats out with you and get her attention glued on them, if she goes past calmly give her a play, fuss or treat. Ignore the unwanted behaviour and just walk off from her. Its quite common for border collies to do this to cars my Cassie has a major thing about motorbikes.
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Ahh...you have a Cassie too! Just spoke to the other half. Took her favourite toy this morning...paid no attention to it whatsoever. I swear I'm going to carry her over this bridge if the halti doesn't work! She's such a well behaved little thing the rest of the time...well most of the time. She's been such a confident pup since she was a baby.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 10:42 AM
sorry to hear your collie likes to bark and spin round when cars are going past my two dogs brothers are exactly the same they bark pull want to give chase my sister asked the farmer by her and he said its a collie thing they see something move and want to give chase just like herding sheep they do grow out of it and you can stop it yourself it takes abit of time but you will get there
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Thanks for that reply. I hope she will grow out of it. It's just such a nightmare. Not only is she making us look useless as 'parents', she's so strong although only 1/2 the size of most collies. I'll keep you informed of her progress.
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 10:51 AM
i have two merle collies 10mths old and the one is so strong he likes to pull i bought harnesses for them which helps alot but now ive gone in for a canny,when you think of it they are still pups and still have alot to learn look forward to hearing of your progress
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by wufflehoond
Hello all!

Now we've introduced ourselves, can I have some opinions on a problem we have with Cassie?

She is determined to spin round and bark at cars while pulling on the lead. This only happens when there is a lot of traffic but nothing else to keep her attention. We have one particular walk with only one way there which is over a narrow bridge. There's no other way to get there. When a car's coming she stops, spins round on the lead and barks her head off.

We've tried treats...cars are better. We've tried toys...cars are better! We have a halti that I only managed to get on her successfully for the first time this week. Going to try a short walk tonight to see how she is with it. Any suggestions would be greatly received. Oh, also, someone from another forum basically told me off for not training Cassie properly and said that halti's can easily break a dogs neck...no I'm no longer with that forum...she really frightened me with her words of 'wisdom'.

Thanks all,

Jackie
Avoid the walk over the narrow bridge til you have control of the situation.
Train approaching roads with traffic and when your pup starts to bark/spin, correct it with a "no" and turn around to walk in oppersite direction (away from the cars).

When you are able to get your pup to walk without the bark/spin, praise and if you use treats, use them.

Increase the level of meeting cars as your pup gets better and you are in control. Just remember; it takes time and patiences and never put your puppy in situations you cant control
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >