Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Allyouneedislove
New Member!
Female 

03-01-2018, 03:15 AM

My dog killed my cat

My neighbor abandoned a dog in their property about 2 years ago. I took her in. She is a sweet girl. She is a 50lb Heinz 57. This weekend she killed my cat. I am completely broken hearted. I have another cat and have him locked in my laundry room until I know what to do. I live in an area where re-homing her isn’t an option. People dump dogs in my neighborhood and breed dogs like crazy. My county doesn’t have a shelter. The closest shelter is an hour away and a very high kill shelter. At this point I’m thinking of just making her a strictly outdoor dog, but that seems so lonkey. I have little chihuahuas that go out back and now I am nervous to have them around her-although she has been good with them in the past. I’ve been reading up on once the prey drive kicks in and the dog will want to kill more. She is stalking my laundry room door where my other cat is locked in the other side. Is training an option so she won’t kill again? Im so upset I feel like I can’t thibk straight. I genuinely care for this dog but I can’t allow my more vulnerable pets to be hurt. Any advice? Is it normal for a dog to kill the family cat? Please be kind, as I didn’t see this coming.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-01-2018, 08:55 AM
The only thing I can suggest is muzzle her when you know the other pets will be around.
Ptolemy82
New Member!
Male 

03-01-2018, 11:39 AM
I believe your first option is management. As @brenda1 says, muzzle her or confine her in some way (properly fitting muzzle is better option as "confinement" is subject to you ensuring that doors, gates, etc. are shut whilst allowing you access).

As much as you are able, make provision for other animals to "escape" e.g., somewhere high for the cat to easily get to, small "bolt holes" for smaller animals.

Prey drive is not as simple as you have read, don't assume that she "will want to kill more". Training can do a lot, but there are never guarantees. A specific program of desensitisation/counter-conditioning is likely to help, but it's probably better that you get a pro on board for this.

"She is stalking my laundry room door...". Don't let it happen. You will raise the dog's excitement level and the cat's anxiety level. Not fair and not acceptable if you want them to co-exist.

Do you know how this happened? Was it definitely this dog?
Allyouneedislove
New Member!
Female 

03-01-2018, 12:25 PM
Yes, I am sure it was her. I’m more of a dog lover, than cat lover- but I love all my animals. I never had a problem with her and cats. My other cat I have had for 20 years and I feel he deserves a safe home. He can’t jump or get away well and I am really upset with her that she killed one cat and now my other cat is living in solitude in a laundry room at 20 years of age. I don’t know much about prey drive...are my little chihuahuas safe around her? She has always been good to them and even played gently.
Ptolemy82
New Member!
Male 

03-01-2018, 12:55 PM
Prey drive gets complex. Other animals MAY be safe, they may not. Muzzle and/or confinement would appear to be your main options until you can get a pro to look at what happened. At least, your old cat may have a normal life.

When looking for a prefessional, have a look at (written by a veterinary behaviourist) http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.com...rs-proceedings

and in particular, the section headed "Red flag statements".
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-01-2018, 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by Allyouneedislove View Post
Yes, I am sure it was her..
Killed your cat and you call her sweet??
Some how doesn't stack up.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-01-2018, 01:54 PM
I'm not sure how you can be certain your dog killed your cat unless you witnessed the killing.
I'm not saying it didn't but how do you know for certain.
Separation is the only answer short term but as someone said previously allowing the dog to stalk the door is unfair on both animals.
Can the cat be upstairs and away from the dog for example?
Allyouneedislove
New Member!
Female 

03-01-2018, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
Killed your cat and you call her sweet??
Some how doesn't stack up.
She has always been sweet and very friendly in the past. I have never had a problem with her. So that’s why this is so shocking.
Allyouneedislove
New Member!
Female 

03-01-2018, 02:22 PM
I’m certain it was the dog. I was in the next room and ran in when I heard some noise and she had pieces of the cat in her mouth. I am not allowing her to stalk the door. I get her to move from the door whenever I see her doing it. I am not sure I can ever trust her again. Is it normal for a dog to kill a cat that lives within the home? She is still walking around in prowler position looking and going to all the hang out spots in my house of the cat she killed. My husband said it’s normal for dogs to kill cats. I just don’t think so.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-01-2018, 03:08 PM
It may or may not be normal, of course there are reports of it happening but that doesn't mean it's acceptable. I have dogs and cats but have no fears about my dogs eating my cat. I'm sorry your dog had bits of your cat in it's mouth but that wouldn't happen in the short time it takes to run to the next room. I'm outta here.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >