Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kimw30
New Member!
Female 

16-04-2013, 02:19 AM

Dog with bad diarrhea

Hey I have a rat terrier dog who is almost 5 years old and her name is Prissy and she is having bad diarrhea. Her stomach has been making alot of weird noises for a week and now since saturday she been having diarrhea, tonight the diarrhea is really bad, it is like water, I gave her some medicine that the vet had gave me to give her when she has diarrhea but it isnt helping, she has been whining and crying off and on all day, and when she has the diarrhea it has this awful odor, way worse that usual. What could be wrong with her and should I call the vet tonight or could I just wait until tomorrow. Any suggestions would be helpful.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2013, 06:36 AM
Hmm. Unexplained case of diarrhea. My old dog Brownie got a REALLY bad case of diarrhea one time. It was purely watery, and it was explosive as well. Coming at random times and it was clear he could not control it. The vet said it was a stomach flu bug. Similar to the type people can get.

After about a week of intense hydration and bland food... it resolved itself. It does make their tummies hurt and it does smell VERY bad (same as it does you when you have a stomach flu) and unlike eating something rotten or worms or something.. it has to run it's course. No medicine can help it.

Maybe this is what your dog has? It could be something else, though. A bad case of worms can cause persistent diarrhea, as can a bad food allergy or something. It can also be caused by poison, or maybe something like parvo or another intestinal virus.

But if medicine isn't helping, I really think it might be what Brownie had... because no medicine helped him either and it took over a week for the diarrhea to completely stop. It got firmer and firmer and eventually he was back to his old self again.. with normal poo.
Hippo
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-04-2013, 06:38 AM
Originally Posted by kimw30 View Post
Hey I have a rat terrier dog who is almost 5 years old and her name is Prissy and she is having bad diarrhea. Her stomach has been making alot of weird noises for a week and now since saturday she been having diarrhea, tonight the diarrhea is really bad, it is like water, I gave her some medicine that the vet had gave me to give her when she has diarrhea but it isnt helping, she has been whining and crying off and on all day, and when she has the diarrhea it has this awful odor, way worse that usual. What could be wrong with her and should I call the vet tonight or could I just wait until tomorrow. Any suggestions would be helpful.
I would call your vet immediately! Diarrhea with a strange smell can be a symptom of a very serious illness, Parvo. If it is parvo Prissy needs to be seen by a vet ASAP. I maybe overreacting, however better safe than sorry.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2013, 08:28 AM
I would be going back to the vet asap. Your dog may be getting dehydrated due to loss of fluids and need a drip; or at least another check over to find the cause and let you know how best to treat it.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2013, 11:56 AM
As above. Get your dog seen by a vet asap. I think the fact that you feel you need to ask if you should see a vet means you really do think you should. Good luck and I really hope it isn't anything serious like Parvo. But if it is - time is of the essence in getting your dog treated.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Pardon me for being slightly puzzled but, looking at your previous threads started here ... you seem to have had a lot of problems with your dog since you got it and a lot of them gastric related?

Any thoughts on a holistic vet for a dog with health issues
Dog with severe allergic reaction and taking Prednisone
Problem with sutures, vomiting and diarrhea (update @ post 11) .
Pancreatic insufficiency and B12 deficiency in a dog
Can dogs get urinary tract infections

I'm just wondering why you are asking 'what is wrong with her?' when it seems you've been told quite a lot about what is wrong with her in the past by your vets.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2013, 12:47 PM
My advice would be take your dog straight to the vets. Unless she is drinking a lot of water she will be dehydrated which in turn can result in kidney failure. The fact that she is crying all the time tells you she is in pain!

Good luck and let us know what happens.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2013, 07:26 PM
I assume the OP took her dog to the vet as she said she was going to call her vet in the morning. I'm hoping for an update soon. Hope the doggy is okay!
kimw30
New Member!
Female 

16-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
I assume the OP took her dog to the vet as she said she was going to call her vet in the morning. I'm hoping for an update soon. Hope the doggy is okay!
I carried her to the vet and he said she got a intestinal infection and gave her a shot and some medicines and said if she got worse or wasnt better in 2 days to bring her back and he would put her in the hospital and give her IV medicines and fluid.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Pardon me for being slightly puzzled but, looking at your previous threads started here ... you seem to have had a lot of problems with your dog since you got it and a lot of them gastric related?

Any thoughts on a holistic vet for a dog with health issues
Dog with severe allergic reaction and taking Prednisone
Problem with sutures, vomiting and diarrhea (update @ post 11) .
Pancreatic insufficiency and B12 deficiency in a dog
Can dogs get urinary tract infections

I'm just wondering why you are asking 'what is wrong with her?' when it seems you've been told quite a lot about what is wrong with her in the past by your vets.
that was a good research!
and a good question as well

is she for real?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >