Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 02:18 PM

What does a blue tongue mean??

Louis has bluish/purplish patches on his tongue, it is nothing new he has had it for years. Once someone told me it meant he is purebred but have never really known if this is true or not. At first I thought it was some terrible disease or his tongue had no blood getting to it it isn't his whold tongue just patches. Just wondering if anyone out there has any ideas? Thanks
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Hi, my Meeka has dark patches on her tongue too, thevet said that they are birth marks so yours could be the same

Chellie
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 02:50 PM
My GSD Jasper used to have two birth-marks on his tongue like that too.

As for a sign of being a pure-breed - well, all I can say is that there are hundreds of pedigree dogs out there that have pink tongues so I don't think that's it!!
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2009, 03:44 PM
That sounds alright I can live with his birthmarks . The purebredness (if there is such a word) I don't care about he is still cute. Thanks for that now I can tell people why with a bit more certainty and know he hasn't got some terrible disease
IHG
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-09-2009, 07:20 PM
There is a lot of rubbish about this, the fact is it is very common and in no way indicative of anything at all. It is simply pigmentation, not unlike freckles in us humans. Dogs have pigmented patches all over their skin but it is covered by fur so you don't see them.

It is true to say it is slightly more common in pure breeds however there are a healthy amount of 'muts' with them as well.

The story about it meaning your dog has some Chow element in it's breeding is rubbish. No-one knows for sure why Chows have black tongues, a trate shared by very few other animals; Giraffes are the one most people know, Polar Bears are another and some cattle, not to mention Shar-Pei of course.

Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2009, 03:03 AM
He does have dark pigmentation on other parts of his belly and some on his head too. My Woodles (Louis) has spots