Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 12:46 PM

Puppy teeth

We have found four of Rolos puppy teeth over the last few days, he looks like he just has holes now in his gums, and we are finding blood marks on some of his cuddly toys.

He seems to be really growing up especially this week, he will be 5 months old on Sunday and suddenly his strength and willpower are also starting to show.
Tinglesnark
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-12-2010, 12:56 PM
awww so here starts the fun eh B? Have you any piccies of him?
x
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Aww I remember finding Simbas toothies around, so cute. Are you keeping them?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Awww I only found 1
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Oh yes we are keeping them, surprised that we have so many that we have found, hubby is doing the typical worrying dad, what if we have the only puppy that has no second teeth, what if this, what if that etc!

His sniffing instinct has gone into overdrive this week and he takes off some distance and is more confident when out of sight (so we are starting to be more picky about when/how long off lead), cos we would be heartbroken if something happened to him now!
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by Rolosmum View Post
Oh yes we are keeping them, surprised that we have so many that we have found, hubby is doing the typical worrying dad, what if we have the only puppy that has no second teeth, what if this, what if that etc!

His sniffing instinct has gone into overdrive this week and he takes off some distance and is more confident when out of sight (so we are starting to be more picky about when/how long off lead), cos we would be heartbroken if something happened to him now!
Simba started doing this so we bought a long line, that way they can have a bit of freedom but you always have the end of the lead
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 04:40 PM
I had this problem - or should I say my OH did with Louie but keep working his recall in the house - I rubbed the scent of rabbit and treats on our carpet then placed some treats around the smells - then called him and if he came to me he got a bit of hotdog - of course this only works a couple of times then they realise you have something.

Now I can place treats in front of him whilst he is in a sit stay and call him to me and he ignores the treats (of course he is allowed them afterwards)

Just keep working on it - you'll get there
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-12-2010, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by kate_7590 View Post
Simba started doing this so we bought a long line, that way they can have a bit of freedom but you always have the end of the lead
Yes we have a long line (bloody mess it gets into with muck and mud!), but because the afternoon walk is with a pushchair and toddlers I am going to have to have a think about using the long line, just a pain in an area with trees/bracken which is where the recall issues start cos there are so many exciting smells!

Still we knew what we were getting ourselves into with a working springer, so I am sure we will get there, he has the most amazing recall for a pup (told to us by our trainers assistant on a walk from a big distance and from friend dogs), so hoping we get through the iffy stage and it all comes back as strong, going to up the anti with treats for the worst period too.

He is going to stay with my sil who has two border collies over christmas, so going to bide our time till then, in the new year when he is 5 1/2 months and back with us will see how she got on for the week, think with other dogs around he will be okay.