Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 08:10 PM

I REALLY hope someone can help me here

I have an outside washer in the outer building and my pipes have froze that lead from the main house to the outer building. I already have lagging on them but im wondering if someone knows of anything else that i can put on them.

This is my third week of no washing

PLEASE help lol
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Can you warm them up gently (yes, gently!!!) with a hairdryer??? Get some straw from the pet shop and cover them with straw, that's always good insulation, we used to do that with the horse's water buckets and stuff. Good luck!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 08:25 PM
I also have my washer in the same place,I have spongy foam stuff around our pipes and although the windows have froze on the inside the pipes are fine.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 08:28 PM
Not sure any sort of gentle warming woudl have great effect as they are outside completley. They are also along the under bit of the roof so its really hard to get things to stick there.

Im now at wits end and running out of clothes lol. Im beginning to look a bit trampy at work lol. Ive put a heater in the outer house and its been on all day and is still on but its not defrosting the pipes
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2010, 08:40 PM
We had frozen pipes on our static caravan a few weeks ago, and a friend of mine warmed them up with a hairdryer, and they were on the OUTSIDE of the van underneath it, and he got the water running again, it might be worth a try, but for God's sake don't risk electrecuting yourself You need some straw, stuff it all around those outside pipes and sacking, it works wonders that straw!
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Spoke to soon we also have frozen pipes
Which means no washing for us or using the downstairs toilet
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 09:55 AM
If they have frozen they need to be thawed really carefully as they may have already cracked. So make sure you know how to turn the water off before you try - and good luck.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 09:57 AM
oh no, hope you've got it sorted? The weather certainly hasn't got any warmer has it

My kitchen tap won't work, presuming the pipes are frozen here too, luckily for me i live with a plumber....albeit a lazy plumber
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-12-2010, 12:18 PM
I've been thinking (s-t-e-a-d-y!) If you get that straw, then put it in plastic bags, then you can actually stick the bags around the pipes??? Oh yes, I forgot about that turning the water off first as C&D has said there if you're using that hairdryer.

When we had our boiler fitted, the plumber told me if it ever went below freezing, then it was better to leave the boiler on "constant" on a low setting, which I always do (have done for about a month now). Otherwise, what happens is, your walls get cold, so not only does it take longer and cost you MORE money for the boiler to heat the whole place up again, but it also keeps all your pipes from freezing, even the outside ones coz the walls are being kept warm! worth a thought.
Ang3l
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Frozen pips can be defrosted gently via a hairdryer or continually running warm water over the pipes. I had frozen pipes when my H/A left me with a broken boiler for 8 weeks . If you turn the hot tap on too quick you get flooded ( I know this coz my dad is a plumber/heating engineer ) apparently turning the water off and opening the taps will stop cracking. I didn't do that because as the part I needed for my boiler was reaily available at all Plumbing suppliers in Luton (yes I did call around them all) I wanted my H/A to realise don't wait coz it'll cost !! He he they gave me 6 months rent for compo and had to pay for new carpets and flooring throughout the downstairs !! Not what I would recommend to anyone as its a nitemare and I only did it because I knew they were in the wrong -18 no heatin or hot water and 2 under 2s !!! for 8 weeks. Funnily enough now if my boiler breaks down they are out and its fixed quite quick !!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >