Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-03-2008, 05:06 PM

question about pet insurance for a rescue

I want to insure Milan formerly Miel who I rehomed 2 weeks ago. I have her pedigree, her chip has been reassigned to me and now I'm trying to sort out her insurance. I know some of her history but obviously not all of it as there is some info that no one appears to have. Also her original owner is so guilt ridden at what happened to her that she's proving to flippin' difficult to get sense out of without all the Angst, and tbh I don't give a stuff how she feels, Milan is happy that's all that matters to me. Anyway when I took her on she was on medication, anti biotics and anti inflamatories and also antibiotic eye drops. She had been operated on to remove a pus filled mass on her back where she had been shot by an air gun. That's healed and she still has eye drops for some eye gunk which is proving persistant. Pet insurance seems to want to know the ins and outs of ducks backside or quote extortionate amounts for accepting her no questions.
So do I have amnesia and conveniently forget what I know, an air pellet is unlikely to require ongoing treatment or have recurring problems and just declare the eye snot. Or do I come clean and fork out between £35-£60 a month for one of the no questions asked brigade. Bearing in mind the other 2 Dobies cost around £16.00 a month each to insure.
How does it usually work when you take on a rescue? It's not something I've dealt with before as both Frankie and Diesel were problem free health wise.
Your thoughts please.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

18-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I want to insure Milan formerly Miel who I rehomed 2 weeks ago. I have her pedigree, her chip has been reassigned to me and now I'm trying to sort out her insurance. I know some of her history but obviously not all of it as there is some info that no one appears to have. Also her original owner is so guilt ridden at what happened to her that she's proving to flippin' difficult to get sense out of without all the Angst, and tbh I don't give a stuff how she feels, Milan is happy that's all that matters to me. Anyway when I took her on she was on medication, anti biotics and anti inflamatories and also antibiotic eye drops. She had been operated on to remove a pus filled mass on her back where she had been shot by an air gun. That's healed and she still has eye drops for some eye gunk which is proving persistant. Pet insurance seems to want to know the ins and outs of ducks backside or quote extortionate amounts for accepting her no questions.
So do I have amnesia and conveniently forget what I know, an air pellet is unlikely to require ongoing treatment or have recurring problems and just declare the eye snot. Or do I come clean and fork out between £35-£60 a month for one of the no questions asked brigade. Bearing in mind the other 2 Dobies cost around £16.00 a month each to insure.
How does it usually work when you take on a rescue? It's not something I've dealt with before as both Frankie and Diesel were problem free health wise.
Your thoughts please.
I think this is a difficult one,

But the way I understand it , you must declare any illness you have had treated by your vet.... if you have already had medication from your vet for her, (for whatever reason) it will go down on her records (at vets) so any claim you make, whether you have declared illness or not to your insurance....will be checked up on.

The insurance company will apply to see records of said dog , and will pay out on what they find.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

18-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I think this is a difficult one,

But the way I understand it , you must declare any illness you have had treated by your vet.... if you have already had medication from your vet for her, (for whatever reason) it will go down on her records (at vets) so any claim you make, whether you have declared illness or not to your insurance....will be checked up on.

The insurance company will apply to see records of said dog , and will pay out on what they find.
I haven't had her treated for anything, the treatment was given by her previous owner and their vet, sorry I should have made that part clear.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 05:36 PM
I would do the same as for any other rescue dog - as far as the insurance companies need to know it should be new owner, clean slate
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

18-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
I would do the same as for any other rescue dog - as far as the insurance companies need to know it should be new owner, clean slate
Must admit that was the way I was thinking With many rescues they would have had vet treatment in some cases pretty extensive treatment. it's a bit much to be penalised just because I know most of Milans history, and to pay through the nose for something that is not likely to recur or have ongoing problems. I'm not much of a claimer anyway, the eye gunk would be paid for out of my pocket rather than the insurance. I don't like telling porkies though
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 05:58 PM
Must admit that was the way I was thinking With many rescues they would have had vet treatment in some cases pretty extensive treatment. it's a bit much to be penalised just because I know most of Milans history, and to pay through the nose for something that is not likely to recur or have ongoing problems. I'm not much of a claimer anyway, the eye gunk would be paid for out of my pocket rather than the insurance. I don't like telling porkies though

You would`nt be telling porkies really - none of it occurred while in your care, and you were`nt there at the time so would not be able to give accurate details like the previous owner would be able to therefore its a case of you know `something` happened but then so do many rescue dog owners know `something` happened at some time but without knowing all the details - plausible deniability is the way to go I reckon
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

18-03-2008, 06:02 PM
I haven't had her treated for anything, the treatment was given by her previous owner and their vet, sorry I should have made that part clear.
Good, then you are going into your vets/insurance with a clean sheet
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

18-03-2008, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Good, then you are going into your vets/insurance with a clean sheet
So you think it's ok to plead ignorance?
I've just activated her 6 weeks free insurance from the kennel club, I wasn't sure they'd accept it as she's 8 months old, I thought it might have an age limitation but they've accepted it and the paperwork is on it's way. So that gives me a bit of time to sort out a decent insurance for her.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Personally I would plead ignorance, you don't know the full details anyway so what you can tell them may not be acurate. Do you even know who Milan's previous vet was?

Max is a rescue and since we had him he has had recurrent stomach problems. I very much doubt that this just started after we got him and I imagine he must have been treated in the past for it. My claim forms ask if the dog has been treated at a previous vets in the last 3 years (I think 3). I just write though that section 'history unknown prior to August 2004' and they have never queried it.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

20-03-2008, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
Personally I would plead ignorance, you don't know the full details anyway so what you can tell them may not be acurate. Do you even know who Milan's previous vet was?

Max is a rescue and since we had him he has had recurrent stomach problems. I very much doubt that this just started after we got him and I imagine he must have been treated in the past for it. My claim forms ask if the dog has been treated at a previous vets in the last 3 years (I think 3). I just write though that section 'history unknown prior to August 2004' and they have never queried it.
Yep unfortunately I do know who the previous vet was as the details are on the medication, also from speaking to the original owner I know exactly which vet it was that treated her in the practice. I believe my vet could ask for her previous records, double edged sword really, as it would be good for him to get all the info he can, but not from an insurance point of view. The only thing I don't have is her vaccination record card as that was given to her new owner when she was rehomed the first time at 14 weeks. So far I'm not visiting the vet as she's doing fine and I want the insurance sorted first so that I can claim no previous conditions while I've had her. I think it would be easier from the insurance point of view if she was a straight forward rescue.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >