Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-09-2007, 05:09 PM

question re cat insurance.

Some one i work with has a cat, which was hit by a car at the weekend.
She rushed her to the vets ( out of hours etc) as she was limping.
They said she had been hit, due to claw damage, but emma tells me her insurance won't cover the out of hours treatment.
She paid 105 for a check over and shot of metacam, to be told to keep her in as they don't know if it has chipped a bone in her leg.
Also the cats hasn't been to the loo since it happened, so she is going to take her back, i think she want to know she can go ok and no internal damage was done at the time.
I have told her to get a form filled in, how does the average owner know "if it is life threatening" if hit by a car?
The vets now...where she took her said bring your form in for them to fill in.
She knows how lucky stonker has been, yep and shes female but concerned all the same.

I just can't believe they wont pay for out of hours appointment........
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Name and shame!

My cat had a mystery accident on New Years day a few years ago, he was taken in as an emergency appointment and stayed in about 5 days. It was all paid by Petplan, emergency appointment or not.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-09-2007, 07:35 PM
I cant remember who she is insured with, its not pet plan.
She is going to take her to her own vet, if she hasn't been tonight.
britishbandit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-09-2007, 03:07 PM
I've never gotten pet insurance for this reason. There are too many stipulations. Unless they're going to cover EVERYTHING, I won't get it. Personally I just put so much away into a savings account for "pet emergencies" every week. I'd rather save up and know I'll have the money if something should happen, that may not be covered by insurance.

Then there's also the cost factor. For any decent plan here, it costs about $60/mth per pet. Well I have 4 pets, and $240/mth is just insane. And I highly doubt I'd have such severe emergencies that cost a bomb with each individual pet. It's just better for me and more realistic to put money aside.