Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 12:02 AM

M&S Pet Insurance Question

Does anyone know anything about M&S insurance? Does it cover the dog for an illness for ever (providing you pay your premiums) or just for that period of insurance, i.e. for that year and then treat the illness as a pre-existing condition after that and no longer cover it?
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

04-04-2006, 12:34 AM
I 'think' it's just one year per condition - I assume you are talking about the epilepsy? If so I believe they will stop paying for any treatment for it after a year it was first reported. However it may depend on your policy with them... it will probably be mentioned in the small print.

Once epilepsy is diagnosed it's normally controlled well with drugs so your outgoings may be the monthly medication costs and perhaps a six monthly check up with perhaps a 6 to 12 month blood test? (to check the drug levels are ok). I'm not sure exactly but I think the vets have to have seen the dog within a six month period to be able to give you a repeat prescription... Snorri knows a lot more than me though, so hopefully he'll notice the thread and reply too.
deester
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2006, 07:23 AM
Think it would be best to get a copy of your policy conditions as they all vary.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 07:37 AM
M&S is a lifetime policy.

With M&S You get 7k each year.
The lifetime policy means you are covered for their lifetime for illnesses, as long as you keep the policy.
If your bills come to more than 7k, they obviously will only pay up to the 7k.

Don't understand how any insurance company could run like Azz mentioned....as if your dog was prone to something like ear infections, they would only pay for your first one.
What would be the point in having insurance!
bessey112
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2006, 07:46 AM
My Rocky is with M & S and the policy says lifelong cover so i assume it means that it pays out year after year as long as you pay the premiums on it

sarah
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 07:48 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
Does anyone know anything about M&S insurance? Does it cover the dog for an illness for ever (providing you pay your premiums) or just for that period of insurance, i.e. for that year and then treat the illness as a pre-existing condition after that and no longer cover it?
A pre-existing condition is something your dog already has when you sign up with the insurance company.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 09:24 AM
Thanks for your answers . I rang them this morning and they've told me that each condition is covered for the lifetime of the dog (provided you pay your premiums) but that the excess will have to be paid every year, even if it's for the same condition you claimed for last year.
gracelund
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2006, 09:32 AM
I pay an extra £1 a month and have no excess to pay with M&S well wrth it in he long run
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2006, 09:36 AM
Is that all - £1? Wow, well done you! Wish I'd done that but I'm just grateful that Loki's recent treatment will be covered, phew! I bet our premiums go up next year but it'll still be worth it. Still I wish I'd never had to claim in the first place, or ever.
gracelund
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-04-2006, 09:55 AM
When I first got Ollie he came with six weeks free insurance from the Kennel club and I was too lazy to change policies, but recently it went from £19.95 to £24.99 and I hadn’t even made a claim so shopped around and M&S were the cheapest at £10.07 for a 3yr old castrated male and £9.07 for an intact female but with this policy you are only allowed to breed from the bitch twice (breeding costs, scans, blood tests, C sections are not included)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >