Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
I suppose Hallelujah is probably his best known song He wrote and recorded it himself but there have been so many versions by now. I think almost everybody knows it. He wrote more verses later on so there are different versions about.
You'll probably have heard' Like a Bird on a Wire'. The words are in an earlier post.
I think of him more as a poet. I've got one of his early books.
His first album was 'The Songs of Leonard Cohen 'and it came out in the very early 70s, followed by 'Songs of Love and Hate'.
I think he really divides people they either love him or hate him. He was, and is, famous but hasn't been on tour for about 15 years. He built up a good career but then went into a Zen monastery for about ten years. He was never part of a group. Does that help?
Very much thanks, coz now you mention the early 70's of course I remember who is is now! Thanks for that. Did he do that song "the road to hell" or at least a song that had those words in it, coz that's the single I got one Christmas that I wanted??? There's another one too that sticks in my mind, heard it on the radio the other morning, but it'll come to me.... in time!
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 05:59 PM
He's Canadian and was/is a poet Helena, then he started putting poems to music and it's history from there on.

He struggled at first as his style was not something anyone has sort of heard before, a bit like dylan but not, if you know what I mean.

He rejected the hypocrisy sourrounding religion, He was Jewish, but I think he has changed now.

Elaine xx
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 06:53 PM
He was more popular in Europe than in the US or here, but when you look at the crowds he 's pulling on this tour and the price of the tickets I reckon he's pretty famous
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
He's Canadian and was/is a poet Helena, then he started putting poems to music and it's history from there on.

He struggled at first as his style was not something anyone has sort of heard before, a bit like dylan but not, if you know what I mean.

He rejected the hypocrisy sourrounding religion, He was Jewish, but I think he has changed now.

Elaine xx
and Bob Dylan was my absolute idol when I was sweet little sixteen! (yes, I actually was once yer know!!! )
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Very much thanks, coz now you mention the early 70's of course I remember who is is now! Thanks for that. Did he do that song "the road to hell" or at least a song that had those words in it, coz that's the single I got one Christmas that I wanted??? There's another one too that sticks in my mind, heard it on the radio the other morning, but it'll come to me.... in time!
Road to Hell was done by Chris Rea , Leonard Cohen has written loads of good songs and is very respected in the music business, his later work with backing singers like the wonderful Anjani Thomas is very different to his early work where he sang accompanied by just a guitar, I like both .He is a wonderful songwriter and he still does concerts.One of my favourite ones of his is So long Marianne, and I love Nightingale.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-06-2009, 12:15 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
It is canine freestyle and I am hoping to use a talking stick and maybe a drum. It is in its infancy as I was keeping the misic for my BC but it is never going to work with him so I am giving it a go with my lab x lurcher.

If it works I'll get Tassleto post a link but so far its just bits.

rune
I'd love to see it, inspired choice of music, Buffy is wonderful, have you got her latest Cd "Running For The Drum" first one in 15 years and its brilliant!
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-06-2009, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by elaineb View Post
Oh Yes!!!!!!!

Isn't he just great!!! I'm the same his words conjure up so many images, it's poetry

I love suzzane and Bird on a wire.

For those of you that don't know here are the words...wonderful poetry.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
Like a worm on a hook,
like a knight from some old fashioned book
I have saved all my ribbons for thee.
If I, if I have been unkind,
I hope that you can just let it go by.
If I, if I have been untrue
I hope you know it was never to you.
Like a baby, stillborn,
like a beast with his horn
I have torn everyone who reached out for me.
But I swear by this song
and by all that I have done wrong
I will make it all up to thee.
I saw a beggar leaning on his wooden crutch,
he said to me, "You must not ask for so much."
And a pretty woman leaning in her darkened door,
she cried to me, "Hey, why not ask for more?"

Oh like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Elaine xxx
There was an episode of Ab Fab where Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley got drunk, for a change, and Jennifer had to give a speech at an award ceromomy and she was so drunk she couldn't remember what she was saying so she recited Bird On A Wire as her speech!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2009, 08:18 AM
I don't have it--but by the time you read this it might be ordered!

Thanks

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Mum To Many View Post
I'd love to see it, inspired choice of music, Buffy is wonderful, have you got her latest Cd "Running For The Drum" first one in 15 years and its brilliant!
Arrived yesterday just been released here as a special edition apparently.Comes with a DVD I am watching at the moment.

Brilliant she is!

rune
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Arrived yesterday just been released here as a special edition apparently.Comes with a DVD I am watching at the moment.

Brilliant she is!

rune
Great! I couldn't wait for the UK release so I ordered mine when it was released in Canada so I've had it for a while.The DVd is really good as well, a lovely keepsake.She is the best as far as I'm concerned!
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4