View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
john100
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-08-2007, 03:36 PM
On the question of hanging game. In an old book i have, it says all game should be hung, max 21 days depending on size and the weather of course. I think Sainsburys do a 21 day old beef, which you have to pay through the nose for, never understood why it should cost more. Years ago i used to get a brace of pheasants for a chap, he would hang them on the washing line till there bodies dropped off. They used to stink the house out when he cooked them. Never took the invite up for dinner, thats just slightly over hung for my tastes. lol We used to shoot anything between 40 -80 rabbits a night and field gut them at the end of the night. The smell of that many in the back of an enclosed truck put me off eating them . Some friends of mine brought there kids up on rabbit stew and they never knew, they were always told it was chicken.lol. I guess if you cooked it right, plenty of stock and veg, it would be difficult to tell the difference.On the subject of chickens. On a visit to a friends house one afternoon i was feeling quite hungry, i asked if there was anything in the pot. Help your self Sharron shouted down the stairs. It was chicken feet in rice. Mmm no, i went to the shop and got a Mars bar. Lol
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2007, 03:37 PM
On this very rare ocassion, I have to agree with John 1000.

Whilst it is not the actual owner hunting and chasing wildlife, the owner (in the eyes of the law) is responsible for the dogs' actions and therefore is liable for what the dog does.

Whether or not 'You' personally intend to chase rabbits or Deer, if your dog does, YOU are responsible for it and CAN be prosecuted for it, under the Hunting Act, the same as sheep worrying etc.

Also whether the landowner is happy or not for you to keep the rabbit numbers down, it's still against the law, whether he permits it or not, as ultimately the law is not up to him. Just because the land belongs to him, doesn't mean he has a final say over it.
john100
Dogsey Senior
Male 

04-08-2007, 03:45 PM
Now Mrs T, rare occasion, even i thinks thats a bit harse lol
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Its perfectly legal to hunt Rabbits with dogs Malady.
Dawn.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Also whether the landowner is happy or not for you to keep the rabbit numbers down, it's still against the law.
Nope-rabbits are classed as vermin along with squirrels and can be hunted with dogs,trapped or shot.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by john100 View Post
Laura, Ever thought of moving to the states. i don't think we have to many wild turkeys here lol. Wolfie you haven't taken up the sport then (shooting)?. Nice to know theres a few on here whose dogs know what there nose and legs are for lol
I do shoot, but I'm not very accurate when it comes to moving targets I did try once and shot a fence post Took bloody ages to cook too

Originally Posted by Malady View Post
On this very rare ocassion, I have to agree with John 1000.

Whilst it is not the actual owner hunting and chasing wildlife, the owner (in the eyes of the law) is responsible for the dogs' actions and therefore is liable for what the dog does.

Whether or not 'You' personally intend to chase rabbits or Deer, if your dog does, YOU are responsible for it and CAN be prosecuted for it, under the Hunting Act, the same as sheep worrying etc.

Also whether the landowner is happy or not for you to keep the rabbit numbers down, it's still against the law, whether he permits it or not, as ultimately the law is not up to him. Just because the land belongs to him, doesn't mean he has a final say over it.
I beg to differ malady. It's not illegal to hunt on land that's been given permission on.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by john100 View Post
Now Mrs T, rare occasion, even i thinks thats a bit harsh lol
Well, it's true, we rarely agree, but this time we do

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Its perfectly legal to hunt Rabbits with dogs Malady.
Dawn.
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Nope-rabbits are classed as vermin along with squirrels and can be hunted with dogs,trapped or shot.
If that's the case, then I Interpret the Laws regarding hunting differently.

Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
I beg to differ malady. It's not illegal to hunt on land that's been given permission on.
Are you referring to rabbits only or in general, as in deer, foxes etc ?
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Just rabbits Malady (and pheasant/partridge when the season begins) as well as the odd wood pidgeon We're not fortunate enough to see deer here (one animal I couldn't shoot as much as I love venison) As for foxes, we don't see that many of them either.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2007, 10:15 AM
From DEFRA:

Why does the Act ban hare coursing but exempt rabbit hunting?
Rabbits are a pest in most parts of the country. Rabbit populations grow very rapidly during the breeding season and farmers wish to control them to prevent serious damage to their crops. Many rabbits are shot, rather than taken with dogs, but the use of dogs provides a relatively humane means of controlling them – more humane and efficient than other methods which can result in greater suffering. Rabbit hunting does not involve the use of large packs of dogs or a significant or prolonged chase element (the rabbit is either caught and dispatched quickly by the much larger dog, through a single bite to the neck, or it goes to ground immediately in a hole which the dog cannot enter). Hunting rabbits is also a traditional means of gathering food. The animal welfare agencies have accepted that there is a case for hunting rabbits and have not pressed for its inclusion in the ban.

By contrast, hares are seldom a significant pest, and where they are shooting is used to a large extent to deal with them. Lord Burns found that an estimated 200,000 to 300,000 hares are shot in Britain each year (paragraph 5.85), while hunts killed in the region of 1,650 hares in a season (paragraph and official hare coursing accounted for around 250 animals. (paragraph 5.90).
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2007, 03:43 PM
There is no closed season for Woodies, Crows, carrion/pest species, I shoot these all year round.
Page 6 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 >