Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 11:08 AM

Broken Tooth Advice

I noticed this morning that poor Loki has broken one of his little teeth at the bottom front. He doesn't seem to be in pain and a bout of separation anxiety induced chewing on OH's crash helmet strap seems to have got rid of the wobbly, broken bit so only half is left now.

Am I right in thinking there isn't anything that can be done and he'll just have to live with it - as long as there isn't any pain or inflammation?

Thanks.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Hi,
I'm really not to sure,we had a bitch break one of her canines off and she was fine,Tylers broken both of his bottom ones in half but as they are puppy teeth we didn't bother the vet as they will come out anyway.
Sure somebody will be along soon who can give you some advice,sorry can'tbe of more help
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Might be worth getting your vet to have a look. If the pulp of the tooth is exposed it can become infected. If infection sets in to a tooth it can travel into the jaw. Better be safe than sorry
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 11:21 AM
I think he'll be fine. As long as you check his mouth regularly, you'd spot any inflammation before it got bad. Our last dog ended up getting so old she lost half her teeth anyway, but she sucked her dinner quite happily!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Two of my terriers have broken teeth, comes with the job, unless they cause them a problem, I have always left them alone.
Dawn.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 11:23 AM
... SB is probably right. If in doubt, get a vet to llok at it!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Thanks guys.
SuzanneGSD
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-06-2006, 01:15 PM
when sybs broke her tooth we got tokd to take it out so itdidn get infected later on.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2006, 02:46 PM
ok vets here are a bit rubbish dealing with broken teeth...and we are told that the dog wont be in pain but i think different to be honest, why would they be different to us?

They wont want to pull the tooth out as the root is very big and it is very invasive actually. But in the states they would do a root canal as a routine but they don't seem to here.

Keena broke her front teeth bless her, a yr ago, one of the little ones. On one of those crappy hard sterilized bones that have the filling in from the pet store (hense we don't have them anymore) She broke it down to the pulp, all the vet said is to just leave it, which doesn't make me happy and I would rather have it fixed. It hasn't become infected at all but I'm sure it isn't ideal.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Some excellent advice here Mys - thanks!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >