Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by oldshep52 View Post
I don't buy into this concept of being able to remove a dog's food despite what the books say. However, if it is an issue then you may find it worthwhile talking to someone like Barbara Sykes and attending one of her seminars.

Mine wasn't about being able to remove the food, I wouldn't want to do this! - it was more being able to walk past or be in the same room without being growled at which then turned to getting bitten.
For taking things away surely it must be a good thing? To get the trust to take away if it's dangerous or yucky (as in my case - dead bird) I try to use "leave it" for this, the amount of stuff Tilly picks up when out & off lead - last week was a smashed bottle & she picked up a piece of glass, she got a big "leave it" and a treat. Didn't work with the dead bird I had to distract her by running opposite way acting daft for her to drop it.

I've ordered the book called "Mine" about a month ago (it still hasn't come yet)
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 01:49 PM
If it were me and i had a dog that was already food aggressive. I would try and give him some food, then pick up the bowl and put some sort of treat in. Then give it back. Keep doing this over a few weeks or months and hope it would pay off. As they would think that everytime you touched the bowl they would be getting a treat
Boxer Boy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-04-2009, 01:58 PM
I really cannot believe much of what I am reading here. How do some people manage to get their dogs so screwed up.

Help me please for I truly cannot understand.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Mind you... saying that, it's not like she's cured... Woe betide any dog who tries to go for the same dropped treat as her... WW3 will ensue! I can give them treats together, controlled and one at a time. She's perfectly well behaved and will wait her turn but if I drop something and two dogs go for it... She'll attack...

Haven't figured out how to deal with this one yet... I have taught her 'leave it' and 'wait' which she will do as long as no other dog gets it either.. But if I put a treat on the floor and all three are told leave it. If I send one of the others for the treat.. She attacks them... At the moment I just avoid the situation... Don't want to put the dogs at risk... But we did have a problem on a field a few weeks ago...

An old boy and his corgi stopped to say hello to Kismet. Before I could stop him, I hadn't noticed, he reached into his pocket and scattered a few treats on the ground for the dogs !!! His corgi immediately launched at Kismet who retaliated.... There was quite a nasty fight, Kismet ended up with punctures to her face.. Corgi was fine...

It was of course all my fault... I have the big nasty wolf dog, he has a little corgi. I gave him my number and said if there were any problems in the next couple of days take corgi to the vet and I'll claim on my insurance... Nothing came of it. Corgi was unhurt... Kismet's food aggression is all a big dominance show.. Lot's of noise and pushing, but no bites...

But what can I do to stop people feeding her on a walk?
People feeding other people's dogs is really bad imo. Loki was wheat intolerant and got a really bad tum from people giving him crappy biscuits. It also made him jump up. I got him a cheap hiviz kacket and got it printed up with 'attention do not feed' at the workwear shop. This did the trick.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Boxer Boy View Post
I really cannot believe much of what I am reading here. How do some people manage to get their dogs so screwed up.

Well as it's never happened with your dogs then perhaps that's why you don't understand?
Nobody in their right mind would try to get their dogs screwed up - but if the problem occurs then they are going to do something about it surely?
I actually think this is quite a common problem but people don't like to admit to it (just a general feeling I get)
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 04:02 PM

I'm very happy for you that your dogs have never had issues. My dogs have never been food aggressive either, but at the end of the day adoloscent dogs have ways of throwing their weight about, and food aggression can be one of them. Nothing wrong with people asking for advice on here. Don't just assume that people have 'screwed up' dogs just because they have issues. That's just rude.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 04:04 PM

I'm really glad for you that you have had such perfect dogs all your life. But unfortunately, many of us have rescue dogs who come to us with issues already.

Sometimes dogs develop issues because of the situation they have to live in, sometimes the owners haven't gone about training the right way. Not everyone knows everything about dogs and can go into dog ownership with little or no knowledge or experience.

Maybe if you spent some time at a rescue centre such as Dog's Trust and found out about their dogs you would be able to understand why these issues develop.

Once again, I find your tone very condescending and belittling to other people whose dogs have issues.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I'm very happy for you that your dogs have never had issues. My dogs have never been food aggressive either, but at the end of the day adoloscent dogs have ways of throwing their weight about, and food aggression can be one of them. Nothing wrong with people asking for advice on here. Don't just assume that people have 'screwed up' dogs just because they have issues. That's just rude.
Well said. Your post makes you seem 100% perfect BB, I didn't think this existed, surely you have made mistakes in the past?
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Well said. Your post makes you seem 100% perfect BB, I didn't think this existed, surely you have made mistakes in the past?
Course it exists Pidge. I know lots of perfect people don't you?
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Course it exists Pidge. I know lots of perfect people don't you?
Well I'm no Mary Poppins but I like to think I am Practically Perfect in every way!! ;o)
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »