Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2012, 10:37 AM

What can i expect ?'

Cassie my american bull dog x staffie who is spayed and 4 years old started to hobble a lot around december, she was taken to the vet who xrayed her and diagnosed mild hip dysplasia with no showing of arthritis. Cassie already went hydro once a week where she refused to use her rear legs and i also took her to the hydro treadmill.In the last few weeks she has become more lame that i didnt feel fitted the severity of her hip dysplasia some days she would get around on three legs, we went back to the vet and asked advise as she was due her jabs and i was told continue with metacam and try to get her to loose a few pounds. By last week i was very concerned so again went back to the vet ( seen another one this time ) who agreed she is more lame than she should be for mild hip dysplasia she was set on antibiotics as in the leg shes lame on(left) the vet said she has a enlarged lymph node. I am to ring the vet next week and arrange a xray test as the vet i seen seems to think she has ruptured her crutiate i know some of your dogs on here have had crutiate surgery and wondering if you can give me some advice on what to expect etc and how you delt with restricting your dogs exercise. many thanks
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2012, 12:25 PM
It amazes me for how common a problem it is, how long it takes some vets to consider this as the cause.

Anyhow....
first you need to do some reading about the two different types of op - one is effectively a replacement artificial ligament, the other involves work on the bone (TPLO).

The general opinion is (or certainly was a few years ago) that the replacement ligament is suitable for lighter dogs, but that heavier ones do better with TPLO. However, the canine physio that I used to take Hoki to told me that having seen various dogs of different sizes with the different ops over the years, he thought that the replacement ligament op was just as efficient. The TPLO op is substantially more expensive.

The recovery process seems to go on forever and keeping them entertained (while also trying to watch their weight as they won't be doing much exercise) is hard work. I spent a long time teaching Hoki tricks where she didn't have to move around too much - i.e. lots involving her front paws only such as crossing her paws, touch, etc.

I also got out old pillowcases etc and used to hide her squeeky toy in it - she had to try and get it out while still lying down.

I think the worst part is when you finally risk letting them off and you watch them run - half expecting them to come back on 3 legs!

Good luck - its a long process but very worth it in the end.

oh - one last thing - if you have laminate flooring, make sure that you have plenty of non-slip cover on it. my vet is convinced that laminate is a major cause of the increase in cruciate injuries.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Thanks hali I will get reading thanks for the info much appreciated