View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Well I start out by discussing who should NOT own a Jack. A person who, works more than six hours a day away from the home, and cannot or is unwilling to take the dog to work with them every day or make alternative arrangements (dogminder). Anyone with short patience and a quick temper. Anyone who views these wonderful beings as 'possessions or property' that will enhance their status among their friends. Anyone with children of any age that believes dogs are playthings with no rights concerning the gentle treatment of their bodies or hearts. Anyone who does not wish to deal with holes dug all over their yards or gardens. Anyone who is "noise sensitive". Anyone who is unwilling to be inconvenienced by the little tornado about to come into their home.

Anyone who does not have or is unwilling to COMMIT TIME, TIME, TIME, to this newest family member. And I am not just speaking of a few weeks or months but the rest of the Jack's life (12-16 years)! Anyone who is not willing or simply cannot enforce DISCIPLINE! I'm not talking about corporal punishment, (hitting, swatting, shaking which I find a week persons way of trying to make an unmakable point) but I am talking about a 'NO' always being a NO.

These dogs not only need to know exactly what your rules are but they are much happier, better companions for it. Anyone who is unwilling or unable to spend at LEAST an hour in the morning and an hour at night running the legs off your Jack Russell. And I'm not talking little, quiet walks around the neighborhood.Jack Russells who do not have their bodies as well as their extremely, quick minds challenged every day will find some very creative albeit incredibly destructive ways to channel their intelligent energy. Anyone who thinks puppies are trained and not raised. Anyone not willing to undergo the tedium of teaching and enforcing the two basic life saving commands of 'come' and 'stay' or 'wait'. The major cause of death to the Jack Russell Terrier is death by cars. Either by jumping from or running in front of or behind their owners or someone else's vehicle. Teaching your jack that he MUST come every time he is asked and that he MUST wait before entering or exiting ANY door (car, office or home) would cure this top killer of Jacks. So now that we have determined who should NOT own a Jack Russell I think it's pretty obvious who may.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Kazz that post of yours was hilarious - but OH SO TRUE about most breeds!!

They should make potential puppy owners read posts like that before they buy!
Morgandy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2005, 09:34 PM
I loved it too thought it resembled my two especially the bit about trying to see the computer over the top of the dog. Morgan has taken to sitting on my lap whilst i am on the computer i think hes jealous of it. I try to explain to people just how demanding a unneutured male doberman is. I would love to go to sleep after work sometimes but if i did nod off for one second i get a big wet nose in my face and if that doesn't get me moving he barks in my ear. After a long walk you would think he'd be tired but not so he plays for another half hour however much he's panting when he comes in. This is my first dobe so hopefully he's an exception and my next will be calmer, but i don't think so!
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

23-11-2005, 09:38 AM
The Lab breader that was mentioned earlier was clearly clueless! Any potential Lab owner I met would get the following advise.

Check out potential genetic problems! Hips, elbows and the eye thing some suffer from.

They need plenty of exersize else they will get bored and destructive and will eat too much.

Did I mention eat too much? Most think with their stomachs.

Don't be surprised if stuff gets chewed. If it's only a few pairs of shoes, you're lucky. I've heard of plaster being chewed off of walls, kitchen cabinets destroyed, chair legs eaten through etc.

Certainly with mine, the first experience any visitors get is that they are flat on their backs being licked!

I'm sure there are loads more endearing characteristics, but I think that'll do to be going on with.
gordon lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2005, 11:47 AM
Rofl, Kazz that could well apply to Vallhunds as well

I always have to start out persuading the said people that yes this is a "real" breed and not a mini GSD/Husky/Malinois ( ), baby wolf, corgi (from the more intelligent people), Pit Bull (had that twice ), Mixed breed (especially the Dachshund-GSD mix ), Wolfspitz, Shiba, Akita, strange Malamute, or "terrier-thingy".

When I've got them convinced and they still are interested I explain about the boundless energy,the strong-headed "Why?!!" attitude, the nipping of your heels that never really stops,the twice yearly shedding storm and the moderate shedding at all other times, the need for mental and physical exercise every single day, the need for a job to do, and the love of their own voices And finally that they are really only dogs for experienced people.

If said people are still there by the end of that recital I tell them about the eternal devotion and following around they constantly do. That they can do anything you ask them to and that as long as you have the right attitude towards training they are as easy as Border Collies to train, though they need to understand why they're doing it. And that the best thing of all is that sense of humor, always out to cheer you up (or annoy you!!).

Sometimes with some people I never get to the great part of Vallhunds. You can pretty much tell when you meet someone if they have that manner for a Vall, and in those cases I make owning one a chore.
juliekelham
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-11-2005, 12:40 PM
i had a lady turn up to see my dogs, in white trousers and a white shirt ,white shoes and white bag. i mean come on please what do you do when someone turns up to see your northern inuits dressed like that???? i took her out the garden and she was eagerly greeted by ten large northern inuits,she went away in inuit designer gear lol. needless to say i never saw her again
novavizz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Kazz - just loved that post - are you sure you don't live with Dobes?

No truer word spoken (or written), sounds just like most of the dogs I know.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3