Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cov Luke
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-09-2011, 10:38 AM

Vegetables in some branded dog foods

Im confused, i used to feed our dogs a popular branded dry food, that can be acquired from any supermarket, until i realised what goes into it, it also had pieces that said vegetables, yet try feeding our dogs fresh veg and it wont even get a sniff, plus i always thought going back to nature, canines were primarily carnivores?, Ive long since changed to a much better premium dry dog food where the meat content is over 30% and is not made of derivatives.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 10:42 AM
My dog eats fruit and veg regularly. He loves apple. The BARF diet has you feed fruit and veg as well as raw meat and bones. Prey model diet doesn't. So it seems there's some debate as to whether dogs actually need veggies or not. I feed them as do many others. I certainly see no harm in them being in a commercial dog food.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Cov Luke View Post
Im confused, i used to feed our dogs a popular branded dry food, that can be acquired from any supermarket, until i realised what goes into it, it also had pieces that said vegetables, yet try feeding our dogs fresh veg and it wont even get a sniff, plus i always thought going back to nature, canines were primarily carnivores?, Ive long since changed to a much better premium dry dog food where the meat content is over 30% and is not made of derivatives.

Many children will not touch a tomato in a salad but are happy to eat spaghetti bolognese.

The dog is scientifically classifed as a carnivore. This does not mean that carnivores do not consume veggies any more than those which are classified as herbivores do not eat the odd ham sandwich etc?

I feed a premium dog food, (in emergencies) that is Orijen, with NO cereal and guess what, it contains loads of veggies!

Fruits and vegetables contain vital neutraceuticals and phytonutrients not available in meat or bone.

My dogs consume a raw diet and LOVE their fresh vegetables and fruit, obviously they have to be pulverised in order to obtain any food value from them.

They also love blackberrying etc.

Which premium dog food do you use as a matter of interest?
Cov Luke
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Thanks for that smokey bear, arden grange is what we feed, i didnt say because i didnt think we were allowed to in case of advertising, but in that case bakers is the stuff that we took them off as both breeders had them on it
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks for that smokey bear, arden grange is what we feed, i didnt say because i didnt think we were allowed to in case of advertising, but in that case bakers is the rubbish (so to speak) that we took them off as both breeders had them on it
I do not think that anyone will argue re Bakers!
Arden Grange is super.

Wendy is lovely and her staff are very knowledgeable if you need to contact them direct re product.
Cov Luke
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks thats taught me something new lol
our dogs love a bit of fresh mince that we get from the butchers when we make a spag bol, so i might try pulverising a bit of frsh veg in there as an added bonus.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Heh, Bakers. It's the only food my closest shop sells so I think practically every dog round here is on it
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 11:17 AM
My dog is fed a raw diet (he too was fed Bakers as a pup, only one box though... then he was put on wainwrights) and is doing great on it. He doesn't get any fruit and veg though, he won't eat them and I don't believe a dog needs them... so, I don't give them.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2011, 11:27 AM
Thanks thats taught me something new lol
our dogs love a bit of fresh mince that we get from the butchers when we make a spag bol, so i might try pulverising a bit of frsh veg in there as an added bonus.
Hi, the Phytonutrients include

- Carotenoids, from carrots, papaya, pumpkin, squash, sweet potatoes, broccoli, asparagus, kale, green leafy vegetables, peppers

- Lycopene, from tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato juice, watermelon

- Flavonoids, from tomatoes, sweet potatoes, cruciferous vegetables

- Indoles, from cruciferous vegetables

- Sulforaphane, from cruciferous vegetables

- Anthocyanins, from wild blueberries, bilberries, black berries

- Sterols, from cruciferous vegetables, cucumbers, squash, sweet potatoes, eggplant, tomatoes

- Elegiac acid, from Strawberries

- Lignans, from nuts and seeds

For dogs, probably the most phytonutrient dense vegetable to feed would be broccoli.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Hi Luke while dogs may be thought of as being primarily carnivores they are also scavengers and will eat just about anything.

My dog Chloe has to be watched when in the garden because she helps herself to strawberries and will tunnel her way under the netting, she is also partial to runner beans and will chew any which are within reach .When in the fields she makes a bee line for the fallen damsons and any blackberries.

She is given whole carrots to clean her teeth and liquidised vegetables as part of her mixed diet.

ETA This is one of the newer raw complete diets which looks great if you have the freezer space , note the vegetable content ..
http://www.darlingsrealdogfood.com/ingredients.php
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »