Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Could any domestic pet guinea pig survive in the wild, nope I think not. They are not native to this country! There is nothing wrong with a piggy with hair, I have many of those too. She is not a poor creature she is a much loved pet given the same attention and care as the rest of my animals. I appreciate she is not to everyone's taste and that many of you will never be able to see her beauty but she is from responsibly bred lines that are happy and healthy not some poor accident I have just created in my science lab
I know guinea pigs are not native to this country and I did not say they could survive in this country. I said in the environment they were intended (by which I mean adapted) to live in. I also did not say this was an accident you had created in your science lab. I respect your decision to have one of these creatures as your "pet" but still feel so sorry and uncomfortable that man has felt it desirable and appropriate to breed such an vulnerable creature. A hairless guinea pig will have to be protected from the elements for the whole of its life. It really has nothing to do with whether I think it is beautiful or not.
Dachshund
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2010, 10:25 AM
They are intended to live indoors though, as are a lot of other guineas.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post
They are intended to live indoors though, as are a lot of other guineas.
Thats as maybe, but guinea pigs like to graze on fresh grass (I kept them for years as a youngster and I know from bald lawns at our house). They are also normally outside animals and should be able to adapt to variable temperatures. S.America, Peru and The Andes get very cold as well as hot.
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2010, 10:43 AM
I think she is a lovely piggy! A bit bizarre (much like I think the sphinx cats are) but that's just my personal preference! I still think they are beautiful

Sarah xoxox
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2010, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
I know guinea pigs are not native to this country and I did not say they could survive in this country. I said in the environment they were intended (by which I mean adapted) to live in. I also did not say this was an accident you had created in your science lab. I respect your decision to have one of these creatures as your "pet" but still feel so sorry and uncomfortable that man has felt it desirable and appropriate to breed such an vulnerable creature. A hairless guinea pig will have to be protected from the elements for the whole of its life. It really has nothing to do with whether I think it is beautiful or not.
But guinea pigs with hair cannot survive the elements of this country either and need protecting. I am more than happy to respect your views about how they came about that's fine. I know that she will have a better life than most guinea pigs and rabbits in this country stuck in their 2ft cages and ignored. Separate issue I agree but they need more pity than the creature I have decided to have as my "pet". I am extremely uncomfortable about many animals that man has decided to interfere with including many dog and cat breeds.
Dachshund
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2010, 10:56 AM
I'd like to also add, my skinnies graze on the grass outside, just as much as my hairies do
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by aerolor View Post
Thats as maybe, but guinea pigs like to graze on fresh grass (I kept them for years as a youngster and I know from bald lawns at our house). They are also normally outside animals and should be able to adapt to variable temperatures. S.America, Peru and The Andes get very cold as well as hot.
She can go outside, she's not that delicate. Obviously needs nicer weather. Hairys should not live outside in colder months either. All mine are indoor pigs protected from the elements. They don't go out in bad weather either just have the conservatory for a run.

Originally Posted by Sarah & Mike View Post
I think she is a lovely piggy! A bit bizarre (much like I think the sphinx cats are) but that's just my personal preference! I still think they are beautiful

Sarah xoxox
Thank you
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Entitled to your opinions which I respect but don't agree with. Jackbox sounds like you wouldn't like her with or without hair!!

She is settling in fine thank you Dachshund, very confident little girl and loving her grub!!
No I would`t

but as much as I dont do rodent,s have to admit the thought of the "skinny" disturbs me, the question is WHY??? the need to bred them as pets, when they are an accident of experiments

Lets just say, if in the "lab" they produced a fifth leg, and some "breeder" got hold of them and bred as pets, would we be as accepting of the mutation!!
Dachshund
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-07-2010, 11:58 AM
They are safe for people with allergies, as far as I am aware...
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Dachshund View Post
They are safe for people with allergies, as far as I am aware...
Oh - that old chestnut again
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »