Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2008, 07:23 PM

Late Entries

Following from my earlier post about the Open Show we just attended, just wondered if anyone can answer a question for me please?

There were some dogs (two in our Junior class and some in Post Grad) that were at the show, but their details weren't in the Show Catalogue (as they were too late?). All the dogs in the Rottie classes were numbered 200 something on their show-cards, these ones had show-cards with 400 something on them.

I thought all exhibitors had to be entered by the closing date postmark and that was it. Why were these then too late to go into the catalogue, very puzzled?:smt017

Any ideas - am very curious lol!!!
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2008, 07:31 PM
it may well be that their entries didnt arrive (lost in post).
If they had PoP (proof of posting the entry), they could present that to the secretary and would be allowed to enter.

OTOH there are more than a few well known exhibitors who regularly do this for ch. shows, if they are waiting for a bitch to come into season or coat - saves them wasting money!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Really, wow I am so surprised! I thought if you missed that entry date that was it, tough!!
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2008, 10:19 AM
some secretaries will try and be accommodating with late entries - usually open show secs, but some ch shows secs will too, although the latter probably less so in these days of internet extended closing dates for entries.

there is a difference though isnt there, between a genuine late entry, and someone habitually taking the p*ss, by getting a PoP for an empty envelope!

Printers also make c*ck ups, and omit entries from catalogues, but the secretary will have the entry form in these cases. This has happened to me a couple of times, and I knew they had had my entry cos they cashed the cheques as quick (polite) word with the secretary, sorted everything out.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2008, 12:15 PM
As a Show Secretary for two shows I can explain(I hope)
  1. If you post your entries & turn up at the show to find out they have not been received, the show executive cannot stop you showing your dog at the show, you have to fill in another entry form & pay the entry fees.

The Show Secretary will then advise the KC when they send in the marked catalogue & the KC will contact the exhibitor & ask to see some"proof of posting"this has to be a POP form from the post office, recorded/registered delivery slip, or a postcard/envelope from the show secretary indicating they have received your entries(you have to send the card/envelope in with your entries)POP forms are free from the PO who will stamp them up when you hand over your envelopes.

If you do not have any proof of posting, they your dog will lose any awards it received(cheque stubs are not acceptable-but a copy of the encashed cheque would be)

If you do have proof of posting, the matter ends when the KC receives your proof.

2. If the printer has missed you out of the catalogue, the Show Secretary will simply add a note to the KC with the marked up catalogue of any printing errors & the KC take no further action

3. It could also be that they entries were posted on/before the closing date, but received after the entries have gone to the printers & in such cases again the Show secretary sends the KC information & also the envelope the entries were posted in

It is a fallacy that empty envelopes are sent by some people as a matter of course, the KC now they are computorised would pick this up(I know someone who got caught doing this 4 times in one year)
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2008, 02:05 PM
Thanks JodeeUK

I never knew any of that! Makes me think I ought to send any future entries in via recorded del just so I have proof of posting. Hadn't thought about if they went missing in the mail.

I was dead confused at that show when I looked at their show-cards with different numbers to what was in the catalogue. I had to ask someone at ringside if it was the right class lol

The Show Secretarys job is much more in-depth than I thought. Fancy someone sending an empty envelope four times in one year!!!
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Tell me about it Anne-Marie now you see a small amount of what we secretaries have to sort out
and at least you know I got your entries for March

Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2008, 02:16 PM
LOL, yes - so handy having you there to confirm everything, thanks!

Well I for one think you do a great job, must at times be a thankless task:smt002
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2008, 03:09 PM
We had a limited show last November where entries closed on the day the postal strike started. It was a nightmare, I rang most of the regulars if I had not receined their entry but I still had 3 people whose entries turned up late,one on the day before the show.
I've had several occasions over the years where my entries have got lost in the post, & fortunately I have always had proof of posting certificates, but the only time the kennel club have asked to see them is if I have had a first or on one occasion where we had a third in puppy which qualified the dog for Crufts. When I showed regularly I used to have some proof of posting certificates from our local postoffice & fill them in so that I only had to get them stamped when I handed in my entry.
One thing to watch out for, don't leave it too late in the day to go into the post office as if the last post of the day has gone my post office stamp the slip with the next day's date. Only happened to me once & I learned not to do it again.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Ohh, good tip Sue, thanks. Will remember that :smt002
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >