Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 01:52 PM

Help my dog with some changes

Hello

I work in a kennels and have a rather nervouse dog (Phoebe) i normally leave her at home with full run of garden and a very large kennel. Due to some unfortunate sircumstances ive lost my house and i am having to move in to rented. Part of my tennancy is that i take my dog to work with me and my boss is happy with this situation. We went today and Phoebe hated it she has not eaten, drank, slept or done and wees/poops. Soon as we got home she just went and got in her bed and is fast asleep.

im really worried that its to big of a change and were moving house next week aswell so could just tip her over the edge.

If anybody has and ideas of how i can make this as easy for Phoebe as i can i would be very greatfull

Thankyou for reading

Katy & Phoebe
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 01:53 PM
sorry about my spelling - im rubbish
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-06-2011, 02:05 PM
My advice may not be practical, but here goes anyway.
If you can take her in on a day off or something, just take her for a little while, maybe to the quietest area. Only give her attention when she is calm and relaxed. Maybe a clicker would be helpful to mark the relaxed behaviour you want from her.
If she is totally freaking out then see how you can make it more familiar for her. Maybe bring her bed with her, or favourite toys and treats. If you push her too far too fast she may get worse or just shut down in that environment.
Just try to stay positive and up beat.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 02:38 PM
she has her own bedding and toys and has had a kennel given just for her so it will be the same one every day.
I only popped to say hello a few times and made a point of being out of sight the rest of the time as i knew she would be worse if she kept seeing me.

Its just upset me a bit as ive never seen her like this and it my fault her worlds been tipped upside down, but there is very little i can do about it
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 02:45 PM
It`s the change of routine that upsets them. However, in a couple of weeks what`s happening now will be her new routine. So give her time and try to jolly her along a bit?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Firstly, don't panic!

Dogs are much more adaptable than we give them credit for.

Phoebe will take some time, I suspect, to get used to this change. She will wonder what is going on, and what this new environment is all about.

If she has never really been in a kennel environment before, it will all seem very strange. Lots of new sounds and smells and sights for her to take in.

You've done the right thing in using her own bedding etc. Maybe make sure she has some tasty treats in there, that she would never normally have. She may not eat it for a few days though.

It is early days I suspect, and given time, she should adjust to being in there.

I have one dog who loves it in kennels, and one who hates it....
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Thanks she is still fast asleep its been 3 hours now. i only work 7.30am till 1pm so its not to long a day
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
Thanks she is still fast asleep its been 3 hours now. i only work 7.30am till 1pm so its not to long a day
New sights/sounds/smells can make a dog more tired than a darn good run - it tires their brain out, rather than their legs!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 03:13 PM
I agree with Claire&Daisy and Isochick

I think you should just stick to the same routine of her going into kennels for work time and home again, by the time she is getting used to going to the kennels, youll be moving and the kennels will actually be something she is more used to than the new house!

All the dogs, noise, sights, smells at the kennels is new to her so it will tire her out more than any amount of exercise, dont worry too much about her sleeping, just try to stay relaxed yet upbeat around her and I'm sure in a few months time she will be back to herself in the new house with you and knows that her kennel is where she goes sometimes. Just allow her a little time to take it all in, thats all.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by katygeorge View Post
sorry about my spelling - im rubbish
I am soooo pleased to find another one

I agree with what others have said, it was her first day today all those new smells and sounds probably all a bit much at once, I am sure each day will get better and better.