Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2007, 10:08 AM
OMG! Just seen this thread!

Poor Georgie... sending big Boxer licks to him from Max and gentle cuddles from me...
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Awww Helena hope everything is ok loads of (((Hugs))) for you Georgie and cassie.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Got some news at last! They've done the liver scan. It is very enlarged BUT, not enlarged with nasty bits which might signify a tumour or tumours, but they can't completely rule that out! The steroid treatment he has had for years, COULD make the liver enlarged like it is now. I cannot stop the steroid treatment like I wanted to do coz that will make him very ill she said They are keeping him under observation with AB's and other treatment to help his liver return to normal, and hopefully he should be able to come home tomorrow morning, if he can keep that temperature at what it is now without their supportive treatment, i.e. the drip he's on now. They are very, very good there, much better than my own vets I think, afterall it's a proper hospital so they can do everything for him, which puts my mind at rest. I'm so glad they're keeping him in for another night coz I just couldn't take it to have him home in the state he got himself into when we left him there last night, poor little man. We all miss him, I don't have to step over him in the kitchen now, or squash him up when I open the back door! Lol! I miss all that!

So, although there is relatively little change, the prognosis doesn't look too bad. She said they saw that there was nothing nasty inside him that could have caused a problem, so that's also good news. I have never had a dog with an enlarged liver, so I'm going to have to do some reading up on all this. Very strange isn't it, but hopefully it's purely down to the steroids.

If things don't improve, they would like to go in and take a biopsy of his liver and see what is going on in there. We might not have to go down that road if he perks up, which I'm hoping he will.

Thanks for your wonderful support all of you, you don't know what it means to have peeps like you caring and worrying for Georgie, and I'm going to tell him when he gets back what a lovely bunch you are and pass on all those hugs and kisses for him too!!!xxxxxxxx
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

10-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Helen you must be relieved to know that although its not great news it is not as bad as you thought it might be. I shall keep the healing vibes coming Geogie's way and no doubt you will keep us posted as to the progress fingers crossed for him and more comforting cuddles for you. Eunice x
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-04-2007, 11:20 AM
That's great news ! I hope there isnt any bad news about tumours and the like, but glad the prognosis is good !

Hope he comes home shortly and is on the mend
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Oh Helen, that is a bit of good news! I've been sat here on tender hooks all morning - so I dread to think how you were feeling. Sending both you and Georgie gentle hugs! Keep us posted on how he gets on!
gaznweebeasties
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-04-2007, 11:25 AM
just read this and my god i'd have fallen to pieces by now

we've got everything crossed in manchester for you
bribiba
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2007, 11:25 AM
Glad to hear it is not torsion, I have lost 3 hounds in the past 30+ years and it is just so devastating.
I wish your boy a speedy recovery and hope all goes well.

Fran
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2007, 11:45 AM
OMG just caught up with this thread sending you lots of hugs and kisses and will say a wee prayer for georgie.you look after yourself xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Could it be a form of Cushings Disease caused by steroids? I found this:

"Iatrogenic" Hyperadrenocorticism....similar to Cushing's Disease
increased appetite

increased thirst (and in frequency of urination)

suppression of the immune system: increased incidence of infections including skin, urinary tract, respiratory tract

poor wound healing, tendon, ligament and joint abnormalities

dull/dry hair coat or hair loss, dry, thin skin that bruises readily

decreased muscle mass and tone...(weakened abdominal muscles may result in a "pendulous [pot-belly] abdomen"); muscle pain, stiff gait, rigid limbs (may mimic a hip or other joint disease)

panting

vomiting and/or bloody diarrhea, ulcers due to:

a. decrease production of protective gastointestinal tract lining

increased irritation from stomach acid secretion

enlarged liver/impaired liver function

thromboembolus (inappropriate blood clot...can suddently impair blood flow to any organ system with potentially dire consequences)

hypertension (elevated blood pressure)

diabetes

pancreatitis

osteoporosis

changes in genital / reproductive organs

hypothyroidism

behavioral abnormalities including depression, aggression/ rage, mania, hyperactivity

http://www.newmanveterinary.com/steroids.html

I had a dog that developed this. Poor Georgie and poor you - it is awful when they're not there.
HUGS from me and Loki
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Page 7 of 13 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »