Our sister sites
Our sister sites
stephenkeane
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-04-2007, 04:49 PM

dog dandruff

Hi Folks

Can any one advise me on dandruff on dogs.

Bella has started with terrable dandruff.

I dont over wash her I only rince her down with water when she has been in the mud (which she does alot.) and her coats in good fettle but her skin is very dry.

I am thinking of taking her to the vets but as alway thought i would seek a bit of knowledge from you guys first.

I have been told cod liver oil in her food any thoughts on this...

Thanks
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Sometimes it can be a sign of a problem related to hormones such as hypothyroid, the dog may or may not show other typical symptoms.

I've been told it can be related to stress, I can't remember where I got that from. I think it was a TTouch friend but I've also been told of that elsewhere. Just wish I could remember where
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Hi Stephen there can be various causes of dandruff, medical as Wys stated and also food related, what do you feed your dog?

Cod liver oil would not be my first choice,toxins can collect in the livers of fish and I think FBO (fish body oil) Oil of Evening Primrose and Flaxseed Oil are better (you can buy capsules of all of them from health food shops ).
DanishPastry
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
Sometimes it can be a sign of a problem related to hormones such as hypothyroid, the dog may or may not show other typical symptoms.

I've been told it can be related to stress, I can't remember where I got that from. I think it was a TTouch friend but I've also been told of that elsewhere. Just wish I could remember where
Martin has started training Vito (yes, that Vito, Lindsay ) and when he takes him out, Vito emediately gets dandruff all over, where he is normally lovely and shiny. Vito is not used to being walked, and gets terribly excited, and stressed. So there is defintely something to it.

Stephen, may I ask what she is fed on?
bessey112
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Hi,
Ive always found giving evening primrose oil helps with their skin. My Amy had really dry skin,she also gets it when she starts her big moult & my vet recommended it to me. It took a couple weeks but she really improved & now looks great

sarah
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2007, 02:47 PM
My jack russell had dandruff- I gave her a tsp of salmon oil mixed in with her food once a day for 2 weeks. The dandruff disapeared.I got it from www.canineconcepts.co.uk
stephenkeane
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-04-2007, 05:01 PM
I feed her skinners trail complete puppy.

I must admit she is molting alot at the minute so could this be a issue..
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-04-2007, 05:39 PM
When we got Snorri-dog at the tender age of 10 weeks, he stank of barn (we could smell him at 3 yards!) and had awful dandruff. Bathing took care of the stink, but not the dandruff.
When he went to the vet for his injections, I was told to put oil in his dinner (any veg oil or cod liver oil), so I made up a mix (later dubbed "Canoleum" - "dog oil" ), which was 25 % CL oil, 25% olive oil, and 50% groundnut oil. It worked a treat, and cost a hell of a lot less than medicated shampoo!

Snorri
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

14-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Wysiwyg - it may have been me saying that scurf can be caused by stress. my dobes used to arrive at a show with gleaming scurf free coats and by the time for them to go in their classes they could look as though someone had sprinkled them with talc. I used witch hazel to clean their coats off, and good old fashioned margarine on their food each day -, their coats were great - until we got to a show that is!!! But most of the other dobes were the same. Kath