Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2005, 01:15 PM

Children showing

OK...my 11 year old daughter shows 2 of my dogs for me .(the other one is too much of a little s**t for her yet ).
Both the dogs are good examples and do well with one winning 2 RCC's.My question is do you think judges penalise my dogs because they have a child on the end of the lead .She shows them because they show better for her BUT most of the champ show wins and both RCC have been won with me on the other end Are the judges being unfair? It IS NOT a case of the dogs looking better for me...I can assure you!!
I am very proud of my daughter BUT I would hate to think my boys weren't reaching their full potential .
Jackie would appreciate your HONEST opinion(as always) on Thursday
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2005, 01:51 PM
To be honest Nikki I have always thought that if anything the children have an advantage. If I have a child handler under me I try to ignore the fact but if the dog is not showing as well as it might you can't help taking in the fact that the handler is a child. Do you think that a judge may give extra consideration to a pensioner, sadly not, nor do I.

Think what I am saying is, it makes no difference if the dog is good it will win, but allowance may be made for the dog not behaving as well as it may.

Mind you mine would be better with a child than with me, lets face it they would be better with anyone other than me.
jayne
Dogsey Senior

15-01-2005, 10:50 PM
i belive.....let her show them all the time... perhaps some ov the judges are penalizing her and if theyare the best there then its the judges making themselves look silly...once she is placed highly a few times then im sure ppl will start and lookat her as a handler and not a child....where you won the rcc whos to say they wouldnt ov had she been handling !!! its expensive showing dogs and im sure in time you wont hesitate in letting her show them...like you said she gets best out ov them. i have 2 the same age.....and a friends daughter 13yr old is showing 1 for me...i have 100000% confidence in her ...she goes in there to win lol...and beats me........keep us posted how she does in the future...tell her good luck from me and stick at it...jayne
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Thanks Jayne....I couldn't stop her showing them if I wanted to .The only reason I get to show the pup is beacuse hes too naughty and too strong for her...and he knows it!!
Most people are great with her and encourage her enormously....and above all she loves it
jayne
Dogsey Senior

15-01-2005, 11:04 PM
imsureit wont be long before shez in there with the pup lol
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2005, 11:09 PM
Don't I know it!!! I love showing but she just sort of 'takes over' LOL
Her aim is to be showing him by Crufts...she wants all 3 ...2's not enough
dizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2005, 12:02 AM
Id say it depends on the judge,. some i expect just wont take kids seriously-plus for the bent judges the kids arent able to return the favour -- my sis has her eldest daughter showing. in a very strong breed [rotts] she has won rcc's--bp's-bis & her final of the junior handling stakes at richmond, but again it depends on the honesty of the judges---i prefer to judge the dog, but the kids have to compete on a level playing field .
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2005, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by dizzy
but the kids have to compete on a level playing field .
Totally agree...I don't expect any favours because og her age but I have shown a dog under one judge and have been placed well and then my daughter has shown the same dog under the same judge and and been thrown out ....being beaten by dogs he regularly beats well
dizzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2005, 11:11 AM
That stinks. -- i know what you mean , tell her to plod onwards. -she wont be a kid forver and when shes old enough to be accepted by all judges-by god shes going to have experience on her side
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Thanks Lynda....shes a good girl who lives and breathes dogs.If judges want to knock her then theres nothing I can do...she much prefers the breed ring to the JH because she likes the attention to be on the dogs.She needs more confidence and thats the hardest bit...when she gets knocked she tends to take it personally but I know she'll learn in time!Shes only been showing for 2 years and already she can hold her own in the ring....I know theres more to come.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >