Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Toller
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-08-2017, 04:57 PM

Will my puppy get over this stuff/

I have a 24 week old Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. She is our third Toller, but the second one is 16 now and I don't remember remember her as a puppy.

For the most part Chloe is a delightful dog. She loves to play and be pet, and knows 8 tricks beyond basic obedience. A trainer says she is probably the smartest and most eager to learn dog she has had.

However.....
1) We have rugs all over the house because the 16 year old can't walk on the hardwood floor without her feet slipping Chloe likes to turn them over and tear the loops out of the mesh. Nothing seems to stop her from doing this. They are junky rugs we would throw out anyhow when we no long need them, but it makes a mess and it is only a matter of time before she eats some of it.
Nothing seems to stop her. We use Tabasco sauce to stop her from chewing on some small things, but can't hardly coat all the rugs.

Yelling at her and putting her in her pen doesn't help at all. (We have a pen because she will harass the 16 year old unless kept apart. Thought of penning the 16 year old, but that doesn't seem right)

She doesn't do anything at all to the 9x12 in the middle of the room; just the small ones.

2) She got up at 8:30am the first 3 months, but now is getting up a bit earlier every week. Since the sun is coming up later, this doesn't make much sense. She whines until we let her out of the kennel. Then she whines until we feed her, then she wines until we let her out of her pen.
The whining is a high pitch squeal that goes right through you.

3) At times she will just bark incessantly if she doesn't think she is getting enough attention, or if the 16 year old gets any attention. We are home all day, play with her often and take her for 2 walks a day. That seems like it ought to be plenty, but she doesn't think so.

4) She plays well with any single dog, but gets very shy with a group. If a dog approaches her, she will growl. This makes socialization kinda difficult.

Maybe our other two dogs had these same issues and just grew out of it. I just don't remember.

Any advice on these issues would be much appreciated.