Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2014, 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
It has high salt levels hence the sickness. And not good thus for anyone with high blood pressure.

And yes, they tried a spoonful. That idea makes me feel nauseous
It's strange to us. There is nothing that I can think of that isn't okay by the spoonful that I spread on my toast by itself. Peanut butter, jelly, jam, preserves, honey, Nutella (which I don't really like) are all sweet/sugary items and are okay by the spoonful.

I think THAT is why the Americans are trying it like that, we don't really put anything bitter or salty (or weird smelling) on our toast. So they think it will taste OKAY by itself like anything else we normally spread on toast.

Not the case with Vegemite, it's different and when eaten alone... is bad to even people who like it. Like I said, it's more like mustard for a real sandwich rather than something you just put on toast. Seems kinda hard for us to grasp, I suppose.

There is one American who just eats 2 jars straight up, though, but he is a professional eating competitor. Nobody else I saw could stomach it.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2014, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
It's strange to us. There is nothing that I can think of that isn't okay by the spoonful that I spread on my toast by itself. Peanut butter, jelly, jam, preserves, honey, Nutella (which I don't really like) are all sweet/sugary items and are okay by the spoonful.

I think THAT is why the Americans are trying it like that, we don't really put anything bitter or salty (or weird smelling) on our toast. So they think it will taste OKAY by itself like anything else we normally spread on toast.

Not the case with Vegemite, it's different and when eaten alone... is bad to even people who like it. Like I said, it's more like mustard for a real sandwich rather than something you just put on toast. Seems kinda hard for us to grasp, I suppose.

There is one American who just eats 2 jars straight up, though, but he is a professional eating competitor. Nobody else I saw could stomach it.

oh yukk!.

that has put me right off so my old jar can stay wherever it is...

on porridge.. yukk.. not keen on porridge at the best of times
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5